Kinect Open Source Driver Released for PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Engadget reports that the NUI Group will release an SDK and Windows driver as open source once they achieve $10K in donations.

How greedy of them to ask for donations like that. If they won't release the drivers, someone else will, and they'll do it for free

jskilnyk

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
I see a lot of possibilities with this device on the PC. However, Microsoft may release their own official drivers if it becomes popular enough.

I'm wondering why the first guy didn't release the drivers. Maybe Microsoft got to him first. lol

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Engadget reports that the NUI Group will release an SDK and Windows driver as open source once they achieve $10K in donations.
Ah, so blackmail is the game, eh?

Question, how many people are going to be able to take advantage of these drivers? All they do is provide an interface to interpret the output of the kinect device. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that still leaves the biggest part of the problem, decoding that output into human gestures and turning those gestures into control actions. Microsoft spent millions developing the software to run Kinect, they probably spent nothing developing the actual hardware and XBox drivers. At this point, we still have that same nothing. We still need the human recognition software before we'll be controlling our computers with our bodies.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
''A loud clatter of gunk music flooded through the Heart of Gold cabin as Zaphod searched the sub-etha radio wavebands for news of himself. The machine was rather difficult to operate. For years radios had been operated by means of pressing buttons and turning dials; then as the technology became more sophisticated the controls were made touch-sensitive - you merely had to brush the panels with your fingers; now all you had to do was wave your hand in the general direction of the components and hope. It saved a lot of muscular expenditure of course, but meant that you had to sit infuriatingly still if you wanted to keep listening to the same programme.''

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Chapter 12

G

@killerclick I'd imagine the HTPC developers and media center mods would be all over having a kinect added to their system.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]true_magician[/nom]@killerclick I'd imagine the HTPC developers and media center mods would be all over having a kinect added to their system.[/citation]

To do what? :)

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Take that, Microsoft. If you'd rather support your console before your bread n butter for entertainment, then expect others to pick up your slack.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Controlling Boxee on my HTPC in Ubuntu with my hand in the air would be pretty awesome.

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Chapter 12[/citation]
A certain movement to "Lock" the kinect from any unintended commands seems to be required, but not that hard to do and become accustomed to, like a triangle, or a circle... in any case way easier then searching for the remote all the time. Even now I don't know where my remote is. I would love it if I could just wave to the TV to change the channel.

xantek24

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I don't know what would be the point of this device on the PC. Seriously, I can't think of one use for it.[/citation]

like i said before, give your pc the middle finger so it can go into sleep mode....

Status
Not open for further replies.