Half speed with 5220 card vs VX4400?

I'm in a 1x area. I purchased the 5220 to make life easier for my
wife to use our laptop. The Laptop is a windows XP machine (SP2). I
only installed the 5220 drivers, I did not install the Hideous VZAccess
software on this machine. (I saw what it did to another machine, and
wanted to keep the XP laptop clean). My card was activated on a
different machine (That did have the VZaccess software); now the card
is in a windows XP machine and I manually set up the dialup networking
to call the #777 number and give the password appropriate for the card,
and to auto connect networking when anyone (e.g. my wife), uses the
network.

The card seems noticeably slower than when I would instead connect my
VX4400 via usb cable. With the VX4400, I can download at about 8
Kbytes/sec. With the 5220 laptop card, I'l get maybe 4 Kbyte/sec.

Can anyone explain this? (The VZAccess software on a different machine
,indicated that this is actually a 5300 card, revision 1, as opposed to
5220 version 8 or 9).

I have an LG4500 not 4400 nor do i have a aircard

but

you indicated you did the setup manually , what settings did you se in
the advance section of modem setup

try dupicating the settings that are for the phone, modem speed (
115,200 ) etc.

also you might want to try a tweaking program to change the registry
settings for the dialup connection

xtsetup is a good one and it's FREE

or

http://channels.lockergnome.com/windows/archives/20041228_xteq_xsetup_v66.phtml

Using the Mobile connection Manager -> settings -> Run activation
wizard updates the PRL just fine.

I found the PC5220 does NOT work in the same locations as my V720 for
1x areas. In EVDO areas it works fine.
A external attn will have the card go from zero to two bars and
acceptable 1x performance in the most fringe area I work in (NC
mountains)

With an external attn. I have keep a VPN connection active traveling
through multiple states. This includes remote mountain areas in NC and
TN. Its more reliable than my DSL in Atlanta and mobile. A very amazing
technology.
The lowest speed I get is 12KBs so I suspect you can improve yours

Thank you very much for pointing out that I could just set up Windows Dial-up Networking using the 5220 !! VZAccess Mangler was driving me crazy ... had to do a cold re-boot almost every time I connected outside !!

I don't know about the speed issue as I haven't tried the other card, but I noticed that the network connection config lets you specify speeds much higher than the modem config ... I'll experiment & report back if I discover anything ....

Thanks again !
JM