Sign in with
Your question

what so special about a p4 power supply?

Last response: in Components
December 17, 2003 11:52:45 AM

Im about to buy a new case for my poor neglected machine and it doesnt come with a PSU so i need to choose and purchase one.

Im fairly certain i need to be looking at 350 - 400 watt with this setup ...
dual p3 1.4 (FCPGA if that makes a difference?)
1gig o' 133
3 disks 20gb / 60gb / 60gb
dvdrw
pny quadro4 900xgl (thats 128meg agp4)
PCI network card, PCI usb2 card and some other cards

Ive seen 400Watt p4/athlon power supplies advertised that are nice and cheap (5 quid cheaper than the one that doesnt say p4/athlon on it) and claim to be very quiet - basically i was wondering if they would work with my machine or if theres a difference in voltage or something silly like that. im not interested in fettling a weird power supply just to save a fiver (sorry - no pound sign on the silly greek keyboard) but itd be a shame to spend the extra cash if i dont have to

thanks

More about : special power supply

December 17, 2003 5:29:51 PM

As far as I know, P4/Athlon powersupplies just have a extra power connector for the motherboard. I think as long as your motherboard and the power supply you get are both ATX then you should be all right.

If you haven't looked around this forum, most people here suggest getting a Fortron power supply - search the forum and you will see why.

<font color=blue><b>Purchase object A, install object A, curse object A, repeat...</b></font color=blue>
December 17, 2003 8:00:28 PM

P4 just means it has the ATX12v power connector, a 4-pin square connection with 2 yellow wires and 2 black wires. As far as I know, all power supplies produced since around 2001 have them.

I'd like to recommend the Fortron Source 350W unit, which has a peak output over 400W and a nice 120mm fan.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
December 18, 2003 6:21:57 AM

thanks to both of you, I have one small further question.

do you know where i can get one of these fortron PSUs in the UK? i cant find any mention of fortron on my usual favourite online stores. if not perhaps someone can suggest an alternative.

Im a little nervous of the unbranded models (and power supplies in general to be honest) after I had one short out and take my nice MSI motherboard with it.
December 18, 2003 6:28:30 AM

Check the online venders. Fortron Source also supplies Sparkle Power and Aopen, parts with the same model number are the same part with these companies.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 18, 2003 6:51:15 AM

You can get a Sparkle PSU from here:

<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue..." target="_new">http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue...;/A>

Good online store, used them a few times myself, very competitively priced.

<font color=blue>"If you want the rainbow, you’ve gotta put up with the rain. Do you know which philosopher said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she’s just a big pair of tits.” - David Brent</font color=blue>
!