Bashing dstell over Antec P160!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, I haven't finished reading all the case reviews, but...

1.) Antec's "legendary" quality is a recent phenomena, prior to the True Power series of power supplies they were a run-of-the-mill manufacturer. The "legend" is purely marketing, not based in reality.
2.) There "legendary" design in cases wasn't their design. They've only recently started specifying their own designs.
3.) Antec has been quite renowned for its quality and innovation ONLY in the RECENT past.

Little or no mention was made of the following design problems:

1.) No room for full length cards? Isn't this a continuation of the original server design? Wow.
2.) Top mounted ports? Like, with the cords drooping in front of the drive bays? Certainly that won't help make my workspace look very tidey.

Of course dstell can read my reviews at sysopt and pick them apart as well, there's a forum over there too! Hehe, I'm also a bit guilty of trying to make reviews as possitive as possible, but not to the extent of ignoring obvious design problems.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dstell

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Antec has a good rep, many people continue to swear by their products.

The P160, obviously was not perfect and I think the review and the fact that it didn't win an Editor's Choice due reflect that.

I saw that it would not take a full length card, and I was surprised to find that it was not in the review, I do remember typing that sentence in there or so I thought.

Over all, I think their are better cases for the same amount of money or less than the P160 and I think the conclusion does show that, by the simple fact that Antec was not in it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I think the Antec case you reviewed might actually be a more appropriate unit for most users, even though it is steel.

I prefer solid cases that hold a lot of drives in as short a height as possible and are deep enough for an extended ATX board. The Inwin and SuperPower cases would probably be best for a user like me. I rarely move my case, but when I do, I'm as likely as not to damage it if it's not sturdy.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTW, I think Antec's good reputation is based on their True Power series of power supplies, anyone who believed their earlier products to be of superior quality was either poorly informed or easily fooled.

I had a stack of earlier Antec ATX power supplies here that were garbage compared to OEM power supplies often found in name-brand systems. Power Tronic, SPI, Aopen, Newton, Seasonic, Seventeam, Power Man (Inwin), etc, all were far better units at that time.

In fact, more common retail brands (like Antec) were often SO bad at the time I was recommending people get their power from broken OEM systems with the brands listed above.