I have two Internet Options icons in my Control Panel

IE6 keeps crashing and the first thing I need to figure out and resolve is
why 2 Internet Option icons are appearing in my conrol panel. Anyone know
how to remove one of these?

XP Pro SP2

THanks
5 answers Last reply
More about internet options icons control panel

    Right click on one of the icons, choose Delete and press
    enter. This problem has nothing to do with the crashing.
    ..

    Control panel icons can not be deleted with a right click. Anyone have a
    VALID answer to this question?

    "Jiimy Jay" <JiimyJay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Control panel icons can not be deleted with a right click. Anyone have a
    > VALID answer to this question?
    >

    > "Carlos" wrote:
    >
    >> Right click on one of the icons, choose Delete and press
    >> enter. This problem has nothing to do with the crashing.
    >> ..

    You may have been hijacked. First - do both icons have all the same boxes
    checked under the "advanced" tab?. If not, what are the differences? If
    so, are they both the same still after you click "Restore Defaults"?

    hi jimmy,

    there are some files in windows called as .cpl files they are the control
    panel files
    -click on start>search>
    -search for *.cpl
    -there would be entry for two IE icons delete them
    -and your problem is resolved

    Do reply wether my sol.fixed your problem

    "Jiimy Jay" wrote:

    > IE6 keeps crashing and the first thing I need to figure out and resolve is
    > why 2 Internet Option icons are appearing in my conrol panel. Anyone know
    > how to remove one of these?
    >
    > XP Pro SP2
    >
    > THanks

    Do a find in system32 for *.cpl.
    inetcpl.cpl is the standard internet connections applet.

    You'll have to experiment with renaming to find the doppelganger unless you
    see something rather obvious like an inetcpl[1].cpl or 'copy of inetcpl.cpl'
    file.

    --
    Walter Clayton
    http://www.dts-l.org

    > IE6 keeps crashing and the first thing I need to figure out and resolve is
    > why 2 Internet Option icons are appearing in my conrol panel. Anyone know
    > how to remove one of these?
    >
    > XP Pro SP2
    >
    > THanks

Control Panel Internet Icons Windows XP