I have two Internet Options icons in my Control Panel

March 15, 2005 6:31:03 PM

IE6 keeps crashing and the first thing I need to figure out and resolve is
why 2 Internet Option icons are appearing in my conrol panel. Anyone know
how to remove one of these?

XP Pro SP2

THanks
March 15, 2005 7:19:04 PM

Right click on one of the icons, choose Delete and press
enter. This problem has nothing to do with the crashing.
..

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 7:51:05 PM

Control panel icons can not be deleted with a right click. Anyone have a
VALID answer to this question?

"Carlos" wrote:

> Right click on one of the icons, choose Delete and press
> enter. This problem has nothing to do with the crashing.
> ..

Related resources
March 15, 2005 11:59:47 PM

"Jiimy Jay" <JiimyJay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Control panel icons can not be deleted with a right click. Anyone have a
> VALID answer to this question?
>

> "Carlos" wrote:
>
>> Right click on one of the icons, choose Delete and press
>> enter. This problem has nothing to do with the crashing.
>> ..

You may have been hijacked. First - do both icons have all the same boxes
checked under the "advanced" tab?. If not, what are the differences? If
so, are they both the same still after you click "Restore Defaults"?
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 10:29:03 AM

hi jimmy,

there are some files in windows called as .cpl files they are the control
panel files
-click on start>search>
-search for *.cpl
-there would be entry for two IE icons delete them
-and your problem is resolved

Do reply wether my sol.fixed your problem

"Jiimy Jay" wrote:

> IE6 keeps crashing and the first thing I need to figure out and resolve is
> why 2 Internet Option icons are appearing in my conrol panel. Anyone know
> how to remove one of these?
>
> XP Pro SP2
>
> THanks
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:55:07 PM

Do a find in system32 for *.cpl.
inetcpl.cpl is the standard internet connections applet.

You'll have to experiment with renaming to find the doppelganger unless you
see something rather obvious like an inetcpl[1].cpl or 'copy of inetcpl.cpl'
file.

--
Walter Clayton
http://www.dts-l.org