randy66

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
going by Tom's reviews and Crashman's good words ,put a Fortron Source FSP-350PN Aurora series supply into a budget build for a friend.
Its a great , low cost supply , lots of long cables , small squeezy things at molex connectors to help remove ,
quiet adj. fan , Rock solid voltage
I actually like this better than my Antec True 430
PLUS it costs HALF ($41 Shipped NewEgg) plus its rated at 100k MTBF , the true 430 is 80k MTBF
Highly recomend , just sharing my thoughts

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
And it has that cool variable speed 120mm fan. Did you notice how HEAVY the thing was?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

randy66

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
yes , its heavy , and I also like the look and finish , everything about it says Quality .forgot to also say how quiet it is
also , if you want for only a couple bucks (literally)
NewEgg extends the warranty for an extra year
cant go wrong
the days of spending $70+ for a supply are over !
Thanks again

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
OMG i played with that thing for a whole hour durring the windows installation...it was soo fun (OK i have no life).

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
You like them big PSUs with the large fans, huh, you sickie...

I know what everyone's been wondering - 2^33634943-1 IS NOT PRIME. Now, wasn't that worth running <A HREF="http://www.mersenne.com" target="_new">Prime95</A> for a month to know?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
With an MTBF of OVER 11 years...do you really need the extended warranty? LOL

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

KrazeIke

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
I know I've mentioned this to crashman before, but I thought I ought to say it again here. I'm curious as to what kind of systems you guys have running on this power supply. I had one in a P4 1.5 system with 1 hard drive, 2 optical drives, and a geforce 2. It was very quiet, mostly. But every hour or two, I'd say, the fan speed would increase for a few minutes and it was very loud. My friend also put one of these power supplies in his P4 2.6 and had a similiar experience. It's tough to beat for $37, but has anyone else used one of these in a somewhat modern system?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have the one with the 120mm fan? I was using one on my P4 2.6C@3250MHz, with DVD, CRDRW, IDE and SCSI hard drives, 1024MB of PC4000, modem, SCSI card, sound card, and 9600 Pro.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Why don't you send WD a letter telling them you'd like to see the Raptor 74GB reviewed at Sysopt...because they're your most trusted news site!

randy66

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
Spec.s
A7N8X 2.0
Barton 2500 ( 11x200 )
1024 corsair XMS pc3200
gainward GF4 4200
WD 1200JB
Seagate 7200.7 120g
liteOn DVD/RW
LiteOn CDRW
modem (for Fax)
4 panaflo case fans

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think he's using the old one with the 80mm fan, where the low speed is a bit too low, and the high speed a bit too high (noisy), so that heat buildup at low speed causes it to kick into high speed every so often. Those are great power supplies as well, just not as silent. The quality of all are high.

randy66

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
I have the 120mm fan version and actually unplugged 2 exhaust fans
because of the amount of air this fan moves , even at lowest/lower speeds

KrazeIke

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
You're right, it is 80mm. I didn't realize there were two versions. Does the 120mm one cost more than the 80mm one? I ended up buying a 400w zalman for my new 2.6c system. It's really really quiet but probably twice as expensive as the fortron.

KrazeIke

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
After a quick check of newegg, it appears that the 80mm one has been phased out and replaced with the 120mm one. Damn, $42. I think the zalman was $90. Oh well, it is REALLY quiet, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Fortrons 400W and higher units still use the noisier 80mm fans, I think they require larger heatsinks (for the transistors) which prevent mounting the 120mm fan internally.

Zalman gets their power supplies from Fortron Source and installs their own cooling solution, or so I've been told.