Frame rate issues in Rage

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I am getting about 25-30 frames per second in Rage, and it is getting on my last nerve. Sometimes it will get up close to 60, but then come spiraling down as if for no reason. It is eerily reminiscent of GTA4 for PC.

I have a test I like to do to see if it is the CPU that is bottlenecking. I try recording with fraps. Well, I tried it and the frame rate crumbled down to 4. 4!!!!!!!!!

WTF?

I have an i5 2500k. Something is wrong, here. And I don't know what. I picked this up on sale on Steam, and so far I regret it.

Any help would be so much appreciated.

Merry Christmas.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Thanks for answering.

Do I disable the card in Device Manager? Do I turn off CrossfireX in the Catalyst Control Center?

I have never done that before.

Edit: I just noticed, your CPU is better than mine. And your RAM is better than mine. Your 2GB card is also hooked up to an X16 PCIe connector. My two are both X8 PCIe. Maybe all those reasons are why it is smooth for you.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I am starting to see that.

It is a shame, because this is one of the most jaw droppingly beautiful games I have ever seen.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I think my change of heart with Crysis 2 was due to the fact that I just played through Crysis 1 again a few days ago, and then when I went back to Crysis 2, I was genuinely unimpressed.

Rage is awesome. I wouldn't say it is the same level as Crysis, but it has it's own look. It is gorgeous. And one of the best uses of AA I have ever seen. Have you seen the console version? Yikes, the jaggies are terrible (I downloaded the demo over Xbox Live).

This game is epic. I can only imagine how good Doom 4 will look.