Recovery Console compatible with SP2?

I have the original XP installation CD (pre service pack 1) and have updated
my computer to service pack 2. I'd like to install the Recovery Console as
a startup option but want to know whether the RC from that old CD going to
work with SP2.

Will it?
3 answers Last reply
More about recovery console compatible

    Hi

    You will need to create an SP2 slipstreamed CD to install the SP2 Recovery
    Console. It won't install from a previous version of XP:

    You can download the SP2 file (266 MBs) from here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en -
    or if you have a copy of the SP2 CD, you can copy the xpsp2.exe file from
    that CD onto your hard disk/partition and use that:

    then follow the directions in the following article to create a slipstreamed
    XP CD:

    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Truth_Seeker1" <DrewStuffL@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >I have the original XP installation CD (pre service pack 1) and have
    >updated my computer to service pack 2. I'd like to install the Recovery
    >Console as a startup option but want to know whether the RC from that old
    >CD going to work with SP2.
    >
    > Will it?

    Ok. I don't want to try slipstreaming unless I absolutely have to because I
    know very little about it. All that I want to do with Recovery Console is
    scan my hard drive for errors and then fix them. Can I boot my computer
    from the original XP CD and use that version of Recovery Console to do that?
    I do not want to use any of the other RC functions; I previously screwed up
    my Windows installation by having it "repair" my SP2 installation and it
    reverted everything to XP original!

    > Hi
    >
    > You will need to create an SP2 slipstreamed CD to install the SP2 Recovery
    > Console. It won't install from a previous version of XP:
    >
    > You can download the SP2 file (266 MBs) from here:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en -
    > or if you have a copy of the SP2 CD, you can copy the xpsp2.exe file from
    > that CD onto your hard disk/partition and use that:
    >
    > then follow the directions in the following article to create a
    > slipstreamed
    > XP CD:
    >
    > http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups.
    >

    > "Truth_Seeker1" <DrewStuffL@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>I have the original XP installation CD (pre service pack 1) and have
    >>updated my computer to service pack 2. I'd like to install the Recovery
    >>Console as a startup option but want to know whether the RC from that old
    >>CD going to work with SP2.
    >>
    >> Will it?

    Ok I called Microsoft and for $23 + $5 s&h they'll mail a full Windows XP
    SP2 installer CD. They'll only do it if you own the retail box of XP,
    though. The order number is 18003607561.

    "Truth_Seeker1" <DrewStuffL@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >I have the original XP installation CD (pre service pack 1) and have
    >updated my computer to service pack 2. I'd like to install the Recovery
    >Console as a startup option but want to know whether the RC from that old
    >CD going to work with SP2.
    >
    > Will it?

CD-Rom Recovery Console Compatibility Windows XP