System Restore File

My boss is concerned that System Restore will take up too much space on the
hard drive (it's currently at the default 12%). He'd like to be able to
monitor the file size and possibly reduce the size setting. Could someone
tell me the filename in which System Restore saves its info?

Thanks in advance
Bobbie

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:58:12 -0800, "Bobbie" <zebozette@mailhot.com>
wrote:

>My boss is concerned that System Restore will take up too much space on the
>hard drive (it's currently at the default 12%). He'd like to be able to
>monitor the file size and possibly reduce the size setting. Could someone
>tell me the filename in which System Restore saves its info?
>
>Thanks in advance
>Bobbie

If it's set at 12% then it's probably using 12% of the harddrive.
To reduce the size, start button/my computer (right click)
properties/system restore tab/ select the drive/settings
reduce the %

Dave

Thanks. Do you know the name of the file where System Restore saves its
info?

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:30:21 -0800, "Bobbie" <zebozette@mailhot.com>
wrote:

>Thanks. Do you know the name of the file where System Restore saves its
>info?

Yes - it's a folder called "system volume information".
It's protected, and what you can do with it is very limited.
regards,
Dave

Great. Thank you! My boss wants to SEE the size for some reason.
(Personally I'd go by what the System Restore Tab lists as Disk Space Usage
but he signs the paychecks)

Appreciate the help!
Bobbie

> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:30:21 -0800, "Bobbie" <zebozette@mailhot.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Thanks. Do you know the name of the file where System Restore saves its
>>info?
>>
> Yes - it's a folder called "system volume information".
> It's protected, and what you can do with it is very limited.
> regards,
> Dave

Hi Bobbie,

Use this page as a guide on adjusting the amount of disk space System
Restore uses to hold restore points.
Keeping System Restore Healthy
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/healthy.html

The System Restore files are located in the C:\System Volume
Information hidden folder.

To view hidden folders: Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options, and on
the View tab, set the options so you can see hidden and system files.
Specifically:

Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files
(recommended)"
Disable (uncheck) "hide extensions for known file types".
Then check the root of each volume for the System Volume Information
folder.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Bobbie wrote:
> My boss is concerned that System Restore will take up too
> much space on the hard drive (it's currently at the
> default 12%). He'd like to be able to monitor the file
> size and possibly reduce the size setting. Could someone
> tell me the filename in which System Restore saves its
> info?
> Thanks in advance
> Bobbie

Thank you. Appreciate the information and the great websites. Will
definitely use them next time I have a question

Bobbie