Sign in with
Your question

Random crashing...PSU?

Last response: in Components
December 26, 2003 6:18:25 PM

My computer has recently started crashing a lot, whenever the hard disk is used a lot the computer will lock up and i will have to restart. It only seems to happen in some games or when im transferring large amounts of data (over the network or to my MP3 player). I recently brought a brand new globalwin Saf 420 watt power supply which set me back £104 (about $170?) so seriously hope it is not a power supply problem. Does anyone have any experience with the new globalwin PSU's (the ones with the windows)? The computer was running fine for a while with the new PSU which is why i suspect (or at least hope) that it might be a hard disk issue.

Why use windows when you can use doors?

More about : random crashing psu

December 26, 2003 6:38:48 PM

Forgot to mention this is what i currently have in my system:
Sapphire 420Watt PSU
2.4Ghz P4 B
Abit SR7-8x (SiS648)
Cosair XMS PC3200 Cas2
80 WD specail edition
Cd writer
DVD-rom
Ge-force4 Ti4200
Videologic soundcard

December 28, 2003 11:54:57 AM

No i have not tried that, but my old PSU was an antec 340watt that came with my case and the system ran fine with that. So i cant see why my 420watt PSU cant handle it. i will try switching back to the old antec one to see if the problem still occurs with that.

December 29, 2003 2:47:09 PM

I tired using my old antec powersupply again and the system still crashes with that, I have no idea what the problem is now. My system will run fine for hours when i just listen to music and browse the net, but the second I play games or transfer large ammounts of data the system crashes. I've never experienced anything like it. Anyone got any ideas?

!