XP Pro Profile Corruption?

I have a dell inspiron 8200, 512k ram, P4 2G. I have 2
user profiles on it. My main profile has recently become
very slow when trying to connect to the internet for
anything - such as using IE or retrieving email. It
takes sometimes 20 to 40 seconds for my initial
connection to the web when using IE, and ~20 sec to load
each page thereafter. If I go to my second profile -
which is a guest profile, it operates normally - 1-3
seconds to load a page, often faster.

Can a profile corrupt?
Is there a way to restore it?

Thanks
James

Try the following:

User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&displaylang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"James Larson" wrote:

| I have a dell inspiron 8200, 512k ram, P4 2G. I have 2
| user profiles on it. My main profile has recently become
| very slow when trying to connect to the internet for
| anything - such as using IE or retrieving email. It
| takes sometimes 20 to 40 seconds for my initial
| connection to the web when using IE, and ~20 sec to load
| each page thereafter. If I go to my second profile -
| which is a guest profile, it operates normally - 1-3
| seconds to load a page, often faster.
|
| Can a profile corrupt?
| Is there a way to restore it?
|
| Thanks
| James

Tried that - no luck. Since then, I have tried to repair
windows - that did not help; reinstall (upgrade) windows,
that did not help. I tried to create a new user and that
did not help. I now have 4 users - Admin, 2 personal,
and a guest. The guest profile is the only one that IE
operates properly in.

Help?!

Thanks
James

Technologies:
>http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsx
p/choose.mspx

----------------------------------

>"James Larson" wrote:
>
>| I have a dell inspiron 8200, 512k ram, P4 2G. I have 2
>| user profiles on it. My main profile has recently
become
>| very slow when trying to connect to the internet for
>| anything - such as using IE or retrieving email. It
>| takes sometimes 20 to 40 seconds for my initial
>| connection to the web when using IE, and ~20 sec to
load
>| each page thereafter. If I go to my second profile -
>| which is a guest profile, it operates normally - 1-3
>| seconds to load a page, often faster.
>|
>| Can a profile corrupt?
>| Is there a way to restore it?
>|
>| Thanks
>| James
>.

Additional information:
Form the command line, i tried the ping command. It took about 15 seconds
to excute, and thatn the connection tested fine. My novice description would
be thet there is a filter or something "gumming up" any attempts to send
information from the computer - be it a ping, a request for a web page, or a
request for email. The task manager does not show any unusual activity
during this time - system idle process is running 97% cpu usage, so I cnat
seem to find out where the holdup might be.

Thanks for the support
James