powmax 550w good or bad?

Bill_hater

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2003
i want to buy a powmax 550w real pc power supply w/blue led 12*12 fan, model PSRPP550-b for 39$
from newegg.com
btw newegg rulz!!!
does anybody have any experience with this power supply?

p4 2.6c@3.13
abit is7-e
512mb ddr pc3200 400mhz
xfx geforce fx 5900 450/975
power supply 300w

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bill_hater on 12/27/03 09:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
PowMax makes the most cheaply made power supplies in the industry. If you open one up and compare it to an old 145W unit from a cheap Gateway 2000, you'll see it has less than 1/2 the bulk to the components. I have pictures if you want me to send them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Fortron Source
Sparkle Power
Aopen
Zalman
PC Power & Cooling
SPI
Enermax

The Fortron Source 350W unit most likely puts out more wattage than the PowMax 550W, is surely of higher quality, and is likely to power anything you can afford to connect to your system.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I used one in my P4 2.6C at 3250MHz, with 2 hard drives, CDRW, DVD, SCSI, AIW 9600 Pro at 500/770, modem, zip, etc, and it was 100% stable on all voltage rails.

I can't afford new parts unless I need them, this power supply belonged to a customer and I gave it back when I finished their system. I'm using a home made power supply I've owned since 2001.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, my board is a P4C800-E deluxe, I'm using Corsair XMS4000-Pro (TwinX, 1GB).

Bill_hater

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2003
well whats the difference between fortron 350w and 450w because if i would want to upgrade i would buy something more stronger. do i really need 450w?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bill_hater on 12/29/03 11:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd say you really need a power supply that can provide a full 400W of power on a regular bases and 300W continuous. The Forton 350W can easily do that and has the advantage of the big fan.

Going by what I saw at Newegg last I checked, they have a 350, 400, and 530W standard Fortron/Source power supply. Their 460 and 550W units are server supplies with 24-pin ATX instead of 20-pin ATX connectors.

The 400W would be more than adequates but potentially provide less case cooling and at a higher noise level due to it's 80mm fans. It's a great supply, and most supplies come with 80mm fans, but I prefer the 120mm fan for good ventilation and low noise.

randy66

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
I have the 350w fortron with the 120mm fan
you will not be diappointed , quality supply
for half $ of most others with this quality

randy66

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
I compared the Forton side by side with my Antec True 430
could hear any difference , both rock solid
but the Antec cost me $82 USD