System recovery

Loaded Windows XP Pro 2. Seem to have lost most functions of Win XP Home
Edition 2. Is it possible to tell if the Windows XP Home Edition has been
truly lost or is it hidden in the os.

"My Computer" shows it as being Drive C, but most of the files such as
Winword cannot be opened. A message stating "This application must be
installed to run. Run setup from the location where you originally installed
the application." appears when a file is opened.

If it is just hidden, can a system recovery CD bring it back? If it cannot
bring it back, will I lose XP Pro also? If the system recovery CD brings back
Home Edition, am I going to lose the Pro? Not that I care about the Pro at
this point, it just seems to be a waste of effort with all the problems I
have had with it. Would just like to get back the original os.
Thanks in advance.
2 answers Last reply
More about system recovery

    Read the User's Guide that came with your computer or visit
    the support web site of the manufacturer of your computer to
    learn how to use your computer manufacturer's Windows XP
    recovery method. A "system recovery CD" will generally wiped
    the hard drive clean via formatting and return your computer to
    its original factory installed operating system i.e. Windows XP
    Home Edition.

    Apparently, you did not select the default "Upgrade" choice
    during XP Pro's setup phase, or you acquired an OEM version
    which does not permit an upgrade over an existing Windows installation.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "kmkap" wrote:

    | Loaded Windows XP Pro 2. Seem to have lost most functions of Win XP Home
    | Edition 2. Is it possible to tell if the Windows XP Home Edition has been
    | truly lost or is it hidden in the os.
    |
    | "My Computer" shows it as being Drive C, but most of the files such as
    | Winword cannot be opened. A message stating "This application must be
    | installed to run. Run setup from the location where you originally installed
    | the application." appears when a file is opened.
    |
    | If it is just hidden, can a system recovery CD bring it back? If it cannot
    | bring it back, will I lose XP Pro also? If the system recovery CD brings back
    | Home Edition, am I going to lose the Pro? Not that I care about the Pro at
    | this point, it just seems to be a waste of effort with all the problems I
    | have had with it. Would just like to get back the original os.
    | Thanks in advance.

    XP can exist happily on a PC with multiple operating systems, including
    multples of XP itself. But, each operating system is independent of the
    others, so programs installed in one do not exist for the others. However,
    all can share a common data area, such as a FAT32 partition (or NTFS if no
    win 98, ME or LINUX).

    So, there is a chance that XP home is still there, with all its programs.
    Try looking at the hard drive(s) using the XP disk management tool (not
    explorer). If you see multiple partitions, there may be multiple operating
    systems. If so, try examining BOOT.INI and see whether it points to both.
    Or, try running BOOTCFG form the XP recovery console to find all
    intallations of XP and make an appropriate BOOT.INI file.

    There is a also a chance that you accidentally installed XP Pro over XP
    home, not as an upgrade, but as a clean install. In such a case, the
    partition was erased (formatted), and everything on it from XP home was
    lost. If you want XP home, you will need to re-install it from scratch,
    along with all programs form their respective CDs. Or, if you have a
    recovery CD that came with the PC, you could try that and hope it recovers
    more than just XP home.

    Reading your PC's manual might be a good idea, before doing anything
    further.

    "kmkap" <kmkap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Loaded Windows XP Pro 2. Seem to have lost most functions of Win XP Home
    > Edition 2. Is it possible to tell if the Windows XP Home Edition has been
    > truly lost or is it hidden in the os.
    >
    > "My Computer" shows it as being Drive C, but most of the files such as
    > Winword cannot be opened. A message stating "This application must be
    > installed to run. Run setup from the location where you originally
    > installed
    > the application." appears when a file is opened.
    >
    > If it is just hidden, can a system recovery CD bring it back? If it cannot
    > bring it back, will I lose XP Pro also? If the system recovery CD brings
    > back
    > Home Edition, am I going to lose the Pro? Not that I care about the Pro at
    > this point, it just seems to be a waste of effort with all the problems I
    > have had with it. Would just like to get back the original os.
    > Thanks in advance.

Windows XP System Recovery