Loaded Windows XP Pro 2. Seem to have lost most functions of Win XP Home
Edition 2. Is it possible to tell if the Windows XP Home Edition has been
truly lost or is it hidden in the os.

"My Computer" shows it as being Drive C, but most of the files such as
Winword cannot be opened. A message stating "This application must be
installed to run. Run setup from the location where you originally installed
the application." appears when a file is opened.

If it is just hidden, can a system recovery CD bring it back? If it cannot
bring it back, will I lose XP Pro also? If the system recovery CD brings back
Home Edition, am I going to lose the Pro? Not that I care about the Pro at
this point, it just seems to be a waste of effort with all the problems I
have had with it. Would just like to get back the original os.
Thanks in advance.

Read the User's Guide that came with your computer or visit
the support web site of the manufacturer of your computer to
learn how to use your computer manufacturer's Windows XP
recovery method. A "system recovery CD" will generally wiped
the hard drive clean via formatting and return your computer to
its original factory installed operating system i.e. Windows XP
Home Edition.

Apparently, you did not select the default "Upgrade" choice
during XP Pro's setup phase, or you acquired an OEM version
which does not permit an upgrade over an existing Windows installation.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"kmkap" wrote:

| Loaded Windows XP Pro 2. Seem to have lost most functions of Win XP Home
| Edition 2. Is it possible to tell if the Windows XP Home Edition has been
| truly lost or is it hidden in the os.
|
| "My Computer" shows it as being Drive C, but most of the files such as
| Winword cannot be opened. A message stating "This application must be
| installed to run. Run setup from the location where you originally installed
| the application." appears when a file is opened.
|
| If it is just hidden, can a system recovery CD bring it back? If it cannot
| bring it back, will I lose XP Pro also? If the system recovery CD brings back
| Home Edition, am I going to lose the Pro? Not that I care about the Pro at
| this point, it just seems to be a waste of effort with all the problems I
| have had with it. Would just like to get back the original os.
| Thanks in advance.

XP can exist happily on a PC with multiple operating systems, including
multples of XP itself. But, each operating system is independent of the
others, so programs installed in one do not exist for the others. However,
all can share a common data area, such as a FAT32 partition (or NTFS if no
win 98, ME or LINUX).

So, there is a chance that XP home is still there, with all its programs.
Try looking at the hard drive(s) using the XP disk management tool (not
explorer). If you see multiple partitions, there may be multiple operating
systems. If so, try examining BOOT.INI and see whether it points to both.
Or, try running BOOTCFG form the XP recovery console to find all
intallations of XP and make an appropriate BOOT.INI file.

There is a also a chance that you accidentally installed XP Pro over XP
home, not as an upgrade, but as a clean install. In such a case, the
partition was erased (formatted), and everything on it from XP home was
lost. If you want XP home, you will need to re-install it from scratch,
along with all programs form their respective CDs. Or, if you have a
recovery CD that came with the PC, you could try that and hope it recovers
more than just XP home.

Reading your PC's manual might be a good idea, before doing anything
further.