Sign in with
Your question

Dual Core and XP Home Edition

Last response: in Windows XP
August 5, 2005 9:39:18 AM

Hi,

I've scanned about 10 pages in this forum and can't find an answer.

I'm wanting to know if XP Home Edition supports Dual Core processors? Supossedly, the Home Edition only supports one processor and XP Pro supports two processors. I know Dual Core processers are two cores on one physical die.

There's no reason in me spending the extra money for the Pro version as this new system I'm building will be used primarly for gaming and I probably would never use all the additional features that Pro offers.

Don

More about : dual core home edition

August 5, 2005 12:45:11 PM

Would ya shut up about the free Corporate Pro already unless you're going to post a link?:) 
August 5, 2005 1:50:38 PM

It's not free - He's just boasting once more about his ability to steal without remorse.

August 5, 2005 3:12:50 PM

hey what's posted in Other stays in other. :) 

I know I downloaded it once off Microsoft's website back in.. 2002 or 2003 maybe.. but you still needed a key for it.

It's free, but you need to have a key that's been paid for to use it.
August 5, 2005 3:26:34 PM

Thats is true of XP Home and Pro also.
It is legal to copy someones disc, as long as you do not use their auth #

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
August 5, 2005 3:36:26 PM

what's posted in Other stays in other.

That is good advice, and really should not let emotions govern your dealings with people anyway. Just live and learn, leave judjements to others.

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
August 6, 2005 3:37:56 AM

I need further clarification. I'm assuming when you say it doesn't work, you mean Home Edition can't take advantage of a dual core processor, and not that Home Edition won't run a dual core processor period?

I can't believe as much reading as I do I can't find any info on this...

Don
August 6, 2005 3:40:54 AM

XP Home will run on dual proc rigs, but will only utilize one proc, other one is dormant.
XP Pro will utilize dual proc.

August 6, 2005 4:38:45 AM

"hey what's posted in Other stays in other. :) "

That's never held true before. Why should it now?

August 6, 2005 4:40:56 AM

"and really should not let emotions govern your dealings with people anyway."

I think the exact opposite. Anyway, 'emoction' is too stronger word to use in this case.

August 6, 2005 4:55:37 AM

Why? You're a good member.

August 6, 2005 5:59:08 AM

Take a break, your needed up here. Rememember, the Other is an entirely different forum than up here - the majority of users down there never surface.

August 7, 2005 1:38:24 AM

Thanks for the further explanation!

I do wish wish there was more wide spread info on this matter.

The Dell catalog I received in the mail recently is selling their top-of-the-line Dimension XPS with a Pentium D Dual Core pre-loaded with XP Media Center Edition. I just found out MCE is an XP Pro based operating system and supports Dual Core processors.

Don
August 7, 2005 1:41:47 AM

MCE is indeed XP Pro with multimedia enhancements...

August 7, 2005 1:47:10 AM

No problem and thanks.

I have no idea what in the hell you guys are talking about anyway :-)

Don
August 7, 2005 3:19:17 AM

I'm not positive the information here is correct. WinXP, although it cannot recognize dual physical processors, will definitely recognize a dual-core processor. The processor gets recorded as two logical CPUs, the same way hyper-threading works. The only glitch is with Intel's EE processors, with dual-core AND hyperthreading (4 logical CPUs).

As for a regular dualcore chip in XP Home, you should be fine, but you'll only see an advantage with multithreaded applications.
August 7, 2005 3:25:15 AM

<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/highlights/multicore..." target="_new"> You might be right, I am not sure... </A>

Q. What is a "processor"?

A. A physical processor is a single chip that houses a collection of one or more cores. A core is a collection of one or more processor threads and a set of shared execution resources. A processor thread is the architectural state within a processor that tracks execution of a software program thread/task.

Q. When does the new Microsoft licensing policy regarding multicore processors go into effect?

A. The licensing policy is current as of October 19, 2004. Dual-core processors and dual-core processor systems are expected to be available in mid-2005. Microsoft is moving in parallel with hardware technology innovation to ensure that customers have the appropriate information to budget and plan for their business needs as multicore technology becomes available.

Q. A customer wants to upgrade their single-core processor system by replacing the single-core processor with a multicore processor. If they do so, will there be an increase in cost for their current software license?

A. No. The customer will incur the cost for one software license per processor, not per core. So if a customer replaces the single-core processor on their system with a multicore processor, they will need to have only one license per processor.

Q. How does this licensing policy affect products such as Microsoft Windows XP Professional?

A. Microsoft Windows XP Professional and Microsoft Windows XP Home are not affected by this policy as they are licensed per installation and not per processor. Windows XP Professional can support up to two processors regardless of the number of cores on the processor. Microsoft Windows XP Home supports one processor.

Q. With the advent of multicore processors, customers may plan to acquire fewer and/or smaller systems. Due to this fact they may have acquired more server software licenses than they think they will need. Will Microsoft issue refunds?

A. No. Many factors influence the number of licenses customers need. The licenses are still valuable and customers may make use of them as their software needs change.

August 7, 2005 3:27:23 AM

That microsoft link provides no useful information, as it pertains to server licensing and doesn't apply to XP Home in the first place.
August 7, 2005 3:43:47 AM

The major limitations of SMP have to do with software and operating system support. Many operating systems (such as Windows XP Home) are not SMP capable and will not make use of the second physical processor.

One of Intel's new dual-core chips, the higher-end Pentium Extreme Edition 840 processor, also support Hyperthreading within each core, meaning that to an operating system it would appear as four logical processors on a single die.

I do not not know if XP Home will take full advantage of dual-core chips or not...

I would recomend if you are spending this much money on chips, upgrade your OS, WTF!

August 7, 2005 3:46:49 AM

SMP /= Dual Core
August 7, 2005 5:08:38 AM

You can install Win 98 on a dual P3 system, but it will only use one processor. Imagine same way with XP Home on a dual core.

!