Skyrim freezing up computer

Jameson22

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Hello,

I got Skyrim at release and have had problems off and on since then. At first install it would cause my computer to shut down the monitor and keyboard, but I could still hear the game music going so I would have to do a hard reset. I changed a lot of the settings in my nvidia panel to lower the strain on my GPU and this helped a little bit, but it would still freeze up my computer. Nothing would power down like before, but the game would freeze and I would have to do a hard reset.

Then I found a user created mod which allowed for 4gb address aware which I read on the forums was a common problem so I began using this user created program and Skyrim was working perfectly for a few weeks.

Recently, after Skyrim apparently fixed the problem with their own 4gb patch I totally re-installed Skyrim and got rid of the mod because I preferred to do it the correct way thru Skyrim. Problem is that now my computer is freezing again after 15-20 min of play. Anyone have any idea if this could just be a problem with my system, because the Skyrim forums seem to be full of people happy with the new patch..?

Here are my current system specs. I'm not an expert so let me know if I need to supply more info:

ACPIx64 based PC

8GB DDR3

1TB hard drive

Processor : Intel core i7 CPU 860@2.80Ghz 2.8Ghz

Current GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT230

PSU: 350W power supply

well your GPU is def on the low side ( I believe skyrim had GT250 as minimum) with such a beastly processor you should look for an upgrade.

anyways, what settings are you running with? and what resolution?

check your temperatures while running the game (hwinfo64 or hwmonitor do the trick)

make sure you haven't got dust in your fans/sinks and that the fans are working as they should.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Also check your PSU, maybe 350w isn't enough when you systems is under load.

bja70

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Skyrim would freeze periodically for me as well but strangely after I started using the xbox controller to play the game it hasnt frozen once. don't know if it has anything to do with it but who knows.