Reformat on custom built computer

I would like to reformat my hard drive on my custom built computer, I know
that it is not recommended, however, I'm going to anyways because I have the
time (spring break boredom).

Anyways, my friend and I built the thing (well, he did mostly), and I am
uncertain of my abilities to reformat it successfully without him. From my
understanding after I reformat it and reinstall XP I will also need to load
all of the driver disks and such. Because when we first booted it up he
installed all of the motherboard cd's and drivers before installing windows.
So, if I reformat my drive, won't it be deleting all of those drivers and
such?

So I guess what I'm asking is, do I need to do anything extra special since
my computer is a custom built one, or should I follow all of the other
suggestions posted on websites and this newsgroup?

Thanks a lot
3 answers Last reply
More about reformat custom built computer

    First......you can format during a new install of XP just keep an eye out
    for the message.
    2nd.....yes you will need the motherboard drivers that came with your
    MOBO...usually on a CD
    3rd...yes you will need more drivers...audio/video and whatever else you
    have on your system that uses a specific driver.
    Most of these if not all can be obtained from the manufacturers
    website as a download.Dowload them and burn them to a CD and run them after
    the XP installation.Starting with the MOBO drivers...then video..then
    audio..then???
    peterk
    >I would like to reformat my hard drive on my custom built computer, I know
    > that it is not recommended, however, I'm going to anyways because I have
    > the
    > time (spring break boredom).
    >
    > Anyways, my friend and I built the thing (well, he did mostly), and I am
    > uncertain of my abilities to reformat it successfully without him. From my
    > understanding after I reformat it and reinstall XP I will also need to
    > load
    > all of the driver disks and such. Because when we first booted it up he
    > installed all of the motherboard cd's and drivers before installing
    > windows.
    > So, if I reformat my drive, won't it be deleting all of those drivers and
    > such?
    >
    > So I guess what I'm asking is, do I need to do anything extra special
    > since
    > my computer is a custom built one, or should I follow all of the other
    > suggestions posted on websites and this newsgroup?
    >
    > Thanks a lot

    when do I install those things? first I will put in the XP cd and install
    that, then I will install those individual drivers and Motherboard things? is
    that correct?

    Thanks.

    "peterk" wrote:

    > First......you can format during a new install of XP just keep an eye out
    > for the message.
    > 2nd.....yes you will need the motherboard drivers that came with your
    > MOBO...usually on a CD
    > 3rd...yes you will need more drivers...audio/video and whatever else you
    > have on your system that uses a specific driver.
    > Most of these if not all can be obtained from the manufacturers
    > website as a download.Dowload them and burn them to a CD and run them after
    > the XP installation.Starting with the MOBO drivers...then video..then
    > audio..then???
    > peterk
    > "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I would like to reformat my hard drive on my custom built computer, I know
    > > that it is not recommended, however, I'm going to anyways because I have
    > > the
    > > time (spring break boredom).
    > >
    > > Anyways, my friend and I built the thing (well, he did mostly), and I am
    > > uncertain of my abilities to reformat it successfully without him. From my
    > > understanding after I reformat it and reinstall XP I will also need to
    > > load
    > > all of the driver disks and such. Because when we first booted it up he
    > > installed all of the motherboard cd's and drivers before installing
    > > windows.
    > > So, if I reformat my drive, won't it be deleting all of those drivers and
    > > such?
    > >
    > > So I guess what I'm asking is, do I need to do anything extra special
    > > since
    > > my computer is a custom built one, or should I follow all of the other
    > > suggestions posted on websites and this newsgroup?
    > >
    > > Thanks a lot

    First install XP
    Then install the Mobo drivers
    then video........audio etc etc
    peterk

    > when do I install those things? first I will put in the XP cd and install
    > that, then I will install those individual drivers and Motherboard things?
    > is
    > that correct?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > "peterk" wrote:
    >
    >> First......you can format during a new install of XP just keep an eye out
    >> for the message.
    >> 2nd.....yes you will need the motherboard drivers that came with your
    >> MOBO...usually on a CD
    >> 3rd...yes you will need more drivers...audio/video and whatever else you
    >> have on your system that uses a specific driver.
    >> Most of these if not all can be obtained from the manufacturers
    >> website as a download.Dowload them and burn them to a CD and run them
    >> after
    >> the XP installation.Starting with the MOBO drivers...then video..then
    >> audio..then???
    >> peterk
    >> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I would like to reformat my hard drive on my custom built computer, I
    >> >know
    >> > that it is not recommended, however, I'm going to anyways because I
    >> > have
    >> > the
    >> > time (spring break boredom).
    >> >
    >> > Anyways, my friend and I built the thing (well, he did mostly), and I
    >> > am
    >> > uncertain of my abilities to reformat it successfully without him. From
    >> > my
    >> > understanding after I reformat it and reinstall XP I will also need to
    >> > load
    >> > all of the driver disks and such. Because when we first booted it up he
    >> > installed all of the motherboard cd's and drivers before installing
    >> > windows.
    >> > So, if I reformat my drive, won't it be deleting all of those drivers
    >> > and
    >> > such?
    >> >
    >> > So I guess what I'm asking is, do I need to do anything extra special
    >> > since
    >> > my computer is a custom built one, or should I follow all of the other
    >> > suggestions posted on websites and this newsgroup?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks a lot

Computers Windows XP