Thinking of getting...

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Aspire
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 3, 2004 6:24:23 AM

Aspire Superalien w/ 500w psu

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

any thoughts?

More about : thinking

January 3, 2004 3:37:42 PM

Good case choice but like he said who knows wat psu you would get.

Barton 2500+ @ 2200mhz (10x220 vcore @ 1.775)
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(420/700)
January 3, 2004 5:23:39 PM

See if you can buy case without PSU. Then buy brand name Psu.
January 3, 2004 9:11:12 PM

It appears that I can get case w/o psu for around $120. What is a recommended psu if I go this route?
January 3, 2004 10:06:22 PM

Are you INSANE or stupid? $150 for that, when Chieftec sells the SAME CASE for $55 at Newegg? The only difference is the DRIVE DOOR as far as I know, they're made by the same company using the same material. Is a different style drive door worth $95 to you?

Oh, I see it comes with lighted fans too, maybe those are what cost $95?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
January 3, 2004 11:44:17 PM

feel better? Thanks for the info...i think. As I stated before this is my first build so yes, I'm ignorant to a lot of the process.
January 4, 2004 12:12:57 AM

Seriously, when I saw that price an ALARM went off in MY HEAD! Hehe. Anyway, you'll find several cases that look pretty much the same as that one at Newegg, made of Aluminum or (in the case of Antec) Steel. And they are all made by the same company, out of the same materials. The newever version turns the hard drives sideways so they slide in easily, the older version uses removeable cages that disengage with a lever. Either one would suit you fine. So they you start looking at various designs for the drive door, etc. You'll find Thermaltake notches the door out for their heat monitor/fanbus thing to stick through. But this case you linked is very basic, which is why I suggested you find a more reasonably priced version.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
January 4, 2004 1:29:46 AM

Considering the features and the included 500w psu, it seems like a reasonable price to me. Can you recommend a similar case + psu for around the same price?
January 4, 2004 1:54:49 AM

Certainly, but that power supply is an unknown entity of unknown quality to me. Certainly a top quality 400W is better than a cheap 500W. But I'll just have to show you a SUPERIOR solution for LESS money.

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=1..." target="_new">Chieftec's original design case</A> $55
OR
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?DEPA=1&su..." target="_new">The Antec version</A> $68
OR
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=1..." target="_new">This Aluminum Version</A> $79
OR
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=1..." target="_new">This Windows Aluminum Version</A> $82
OR
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=1..." target="_new">How About the Xaser III version</A> $89

and the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti..." target="_new">Fortron 530W power supply (good for over 600W peak)</A>

All of which seem expensive when I consider the Chieftech and Aspire aluminum ones with window are $89 with a reasonably decent cheap 420W power supply.

Personally if I didn't mind drive doors, I'd go with the first case and the Fortron 350W for $42, it's been able to power everything I could throw at it and comes with a 120mm adjustable speed fan.

January 4, 2004 3:43:33 AM

About got this stuff figured out, appreciate the help. Wanna recommend cpu/mobo/RAM for under 600?
January 4, 2004 4:20:07 AM

You should be able to get an Abit IS7, P4 2.6C, and 2x512MB OCZ PC3700 Gold Rev.2, for under $600, and overclock that to around 3250MHz.

January 4, 2004 4:22:53 AM

I fixed those last two links for you.

January 4, 2004 4:39:40 AM

You prefer that to an AMD setup?
January 4, 2004 5:22:59 AM

Oh, you could also get an Abit NF7-S, and AMD XP2500+, and some good PC3200 (perhaps Corsair's PC3200LL). Overclock the XP2500+ to 3200+ speeds simply by changing the bus speed from 166 to 200. That would be a slower solution but much cheaper!

January 4, 2004 5:23:38 AM

Oh, the NF7-S also has the advantage of the nForce APU, a VERY GOOD audio processor.

January 4, 2004 6:05:00 AM

I don't have to have ultimate high-end stuff, just adequate to keep playing the new games at a good level. Is the AMD setup sufficient or is the higher speed of the P4 simply the way to go at this time?
January 4, 2004 7:13:14 AM

The low price and top notch sound make the AMD solution a better deal.

January 4, 2004 8:26:37 AM

I've heard people mention locked and unlocked on these processors. Will I still be able to OC a new one purchased from newegg? Also wondering why you think the nf7-s is better than some of the newer models.
January 4, 2004 3:24:40 PM

The multiplier on the new Baron cores are locked, you can still overclock by changing the FSB, which is why Crashman suggest you buy ram that is rated at 400 so if you overclock to 200fsb it can still run in sync.

AMD chips run hotter then Intel so you might have to look at aftermarket HS/Fan to clock it very high.
January 4, 2004 4:01:21 PM

Newegg sells the NF7-S rev. 2.0, I've been following this a while and feel confident in that board. The 2.0 officially supports high bus speeds over 200MHz. That's DDR400, the same speed as the XP3200+ bus, the same speed as PC3200 RAM, the same bus speed you'd use to bring the XP2500+ to XP3200+ speed.

January 4, 2004 5:33:28 PM

Think I'm gonna go with the AMD setup, seems like it will be fine. If I go ahead and get that new board when I get a new case can I set everything up using my 1800xp until I get a new cpu and RAM?
January 4, 2004 5:53:26 PM

Also was wondering if any of the pc3200 RAM sold by bestbuy would be good for my setup, gotta love that bestbuy card.
January 4, 2004 6:06:21 PM

I think bestbuy sells a limited selection of Kingston HyperX series.

But it would be cheaper on Newegg, unless of course you got Gift Card to bestbuy then I guess it doesnt matter.
January 4, 2004 8:59:24 PM

Unless Best Buy has a sale on Ram. I bought my HyperX PC3500 512 in July for $120. No one was cheaper at that time.
January 4, 2004 9:46:50 PM

How could I tell if the nf7-s on bestbuy.com is the version 2?
January 4, 2004 9:59:18 PM

Also would like someone to explain why the nf7-s is better than the AN7 or the good asus offerings(A7N8X deluxe)
February 5, 2004 2:34:50 AM

Hey Crashman, just in principle, how do you like the aspire 500W Super UV Reactive Power Supply? Is it just all looks?

And do you know what site(s) I can research for thermocooling and electric and water cooling? Not to mention reliable sites that sell this equipment?

Thanks man.
February 5, 2004 3:10:59 AM

Never seen one. Probably all looks.

February 5, 2004 3:47:09 AM

Well, the ones with see-through covers certainly LOOK beefy enough. Let me know how it turns out!

My experience with TEC isn't first hand, my friend had one fail. When the fail, they become hotplates. His melted the socket on the motherboard (and of course burned the CPU die from the pin grid, etc). I've never tried liquid cooling.

February 5, 2004 11:04:08 PM

Those reviews you showed are extremely lacking. For example, they don't actually put the power supplies to the test of peak load. This is where the Fortron comes out on top, the 530W unit puts out MORE power than the Antec 550W, even though it's rated at less power. You see, when Fortron says xx amps, they MEAN it will provide that power constantly for the life of the supply, and that's usually around 11 years MTBF. That's why they use 70% of peak load for their "max" numbers.

Both the Fortron and Aspire showed better voltage than Antec, but it's normal for Antec to set the voltages a bit low, so common that most people accept these voltages as nearly perfect, because Antec is such a popular brand.

I still don't know that much about the Aspire, other than the fact that it LOOKS like a good supply and has one good review from a site that didn't even test max load.

!