Cant use Recovery Console

After getting continuous reboots with the split second blue screen stating
"unmountable boot volume", I try to run RC from the XP CD and after entering
the number "1",nothing happens after that. Also tried a reinstall of Windows
and it hangs and does nothing else after hitting F8 to accept the license
agreement. Message on bottom just stays on "Searching for previos versions of
Windows". Cant get into safe mode,last known configuration etc. When I try to
boot to safe mode it hangs on "mup.sys". Any advice is greatly apprieciated
and TY in advance.Deanoid
4 answers Last reply
More about cant recovery console

    Top posted 'cause OEQuote fix isn't working right at the moment. Pardon my
    lack of form ;)

    I have to ask some silly questions... Does your CD have scratches? Does your
    CD player work properly? Do you have a RAM issue? Has their been a hardware
    failure of any type? Maybe even hard disk errors though that'd be after I
    checked RAM and the CD player. These aren't answers, they're just where I'd
    start if I were troubleshooting the system and the errors were as you
    described.

    Galen
    "Deanoid" <Deanoid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After getting continuous reboots with the split second blue screen stating
    > "unmountable boot volume", I try to run RC from the XP CD and after
    > entering
    > the number "1",nothing happens after that. Also tried a reinstall of
    > Windows
    > and it hangs and does nothing else after hitting F8 to accept the license
    > agreement. Message on bottom just stays on "Searching for previos versions
    > of
    > Windows". Cant get into safe mode,last known configuration etc. When I try
    > boot to safe mode it hangs on "mup.sys". Any advice is greatly
    > apprieciated
    > and TY in advance.Deanoid

    Hi

    Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web site - left hand
    column(ED):

    http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Deanoid" <Deanoid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After getting continuous reboots with the split second blue screen stating
    > "unmountable boot volume", I try to run RC from the XP CD and after
    > entering
    > the number "1",nothing happens after that. Also tried a reinstall of
    > Windows
    > and it hangs and does nothing else after hitting F8 to accept the license
    > agreement. Message on bottom just stays on "Searching for previos versions
    > of
    > Windows". Cant get into safe mode,last known configuration etc. When I try
    > boot to safe mode it hangs on "mup.sys". Any advice is greatly
    > apprieciated
    > and TY in advance.Deanoid

    Thankyou Galen and Will for your reply.I tried your suggestions but didnt
    have any luck.I did try a suggestion from another post when I did a search
    for "unmountable boot volume" in the Hardware News Group. George pointed me
    to a link that suggested that I take the suspect harddrive out and swap it
    with one on a good system.Well I exchanged the harddrive into a system
    exactly the same and what happened was at least this time it tried to
    boot.But I received a message at the bottom telling me to boot from disk.So I
    did this and ran chkdsk /r and after that the harddrive booted no problem,the
    system up and running.Well now I switched the drive back into the old system
    and it wont boot and I cant run the recovery console after entering "1'', it
    just does nothing.Does this mean there's something wrong with the MB or some
    other thing in the bad system??As a note I also tried to run a hard drive
    diagnostic tool -PowerMax- but it exited right away stating "Exiting due to
    SIGFPE floating point exception!!! Whatever that means!!! Any advice is
    greatly apprieciated again.Thankyou for your time and patience.

    "Deanoid" wrote:

    > After getting continuous reboots with the split second blue screen stating
    > "unmountable boot volume", I try to run RC from the XP CD and after entering
    > the number "1",nothing happens after that. Also tried a reinstall of Windows
    > and it hangs and does nothing else after hitting F8 to accept the license
    > agreement. Message on bottom just stays on "Searching for previos versions of
    > Windows". Cant get into safe mode,last known configuration etc. When I try to
    > boot to safe mode it hangs on "mup.sys". Any advice is greatly apprieciated
    > and TY in advance.Deanoid

    Reset BIOS and was able to run recovery console.Thanks to all for
    feedback.Deano

    "Deanoid" wrote:

    > After getting continuous reboots with the split second blue screen stating
    > "unmountable boot volume", I try to run RC from the XP CD and after entering
    > the number "1",nothing happens after that. Also tried a reinstall of Windows
    > and it hangs and does nothing else after hitting F8 to accept the license
    > agreement. Message on bottom just stays on "Searching for previos versions of
    > Windows". Cant get into safe mode,last known configuration etc. When I try to
    > boot to safe mode it hangs on "mup.sys". Any advice is greatly apprieciated
    > and TY in advance.Deanoid

Recovery Console Windows XP