Notifying of an alert

I see many laptops daily, and a failing hard drive is a problem that scares
many users. Sometimes we can catch the hard drive before it goes, and most of
the time event viewer (system) shows a red "Stop Sign" for hard disk, noting
an NTFS error.
Is it possible to create a pop-up or an email message when an event of this
nature occurs? If so, can you please mention how.
Thank you.

"mickane" <mickane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I see many laptops daily, and a failing hard drive is a problem that scares
>many users. Sometimes we can catch the hard drive before it goes, and most of
>the time event viewer (system) shows a red "Stop Sign" for hard disk, noting
>an NTFS error.
>Is it possible to create a pop-up or an email message when an event of this
>nature occurs? If so, can you please mention how.
>Thank you.

How about ensuring that S.M.A.R.T. monitoring of the hard drive is
enabled in the laptop's BIOS? That should catch the problem at the
same time or before Windows does.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP