sp2 drove me to open source

March 18, 2005 9:03:08 AM

Thanks to Microsoft's WindowsXP SP2, I have finally made the move to open
source applications. I've wanted to make the move for some time but some
laziness on my part has delayed me. Thanks, Billy, for pushing out the SP2
and specifically the security center because that horrid piece of programming
(I call SP2 the new WinME) finally made me so angry and frustrated with you
and your company that I built up a Linux box at home and will soon be
migrating all of my personal equipment over to the Penguin. If I am browsing
and come across some content that will only work in your non-W3c standards
compliant browser, I refuse to view it. DId you notice that FireFox 1.0 was
downloaded over a million times the first DAY it was available? Hallelujiah!

I am the systems administrator at a television station and so am used to
dealing with new technology. I have never had as many problems with a single
piece of software (and let me tell you, video-editing, TV production, and
graphics software can be extremely touchy and hard to work with) as I have
with SP2. It has bolluxed up so many systems at my station, rendering some
applications totally unusable, that I have removed it from every machine I
have. I've talked to the administration and we are looking into moving away
from all MS products and following the growing trend of dismantling our
Windows infrastructure.

I truly hope that the recent trend in computing to move away from the
monopolistic domination of MS is but the first scratchings of the proverbial
writing on the wall that will soon say that MS is on its way out. Maybe it
won't come soon, certainly not soon enough for any thinking and rational IT
person, but I think it is coming and on that day I will rejoice.

Thanks, again, Billy. SP2 did it's job well enough for me.

More about : sp2 drove open source

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 2:35:25 PM

SP2 has been successfully installed on over 180 million computers
worldwide. I guess you're just trolling since you cannot name one
single issue caused by SP2 and can't even ask intelligently for help
if you do have an issue. You'll enjoy spending mega-bucks for
new programs required when you use Linux.

Can't offer any help without knowing what your issues are!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"velozoom30" wrote:

| Thanks to Microsoft's WindowsXP SP2, I have finally made the move to open
| source applications. I've wanted to make the move for some time but some
| laziness on my part has delayed me. Thanks, Billy, for pushing out the SP2
| and specifically the security center because that horrid piece of programming
| (I call SP2 the new WinME) finally made me so angry and frustrated with you
| and your company that I built up a Linux box at home and will soon be
| migrating all of my personal equipment over to the Penguin. If I am browsing
| and come across some content that will only work in your non-W3c standards
| compliant browser, I refuse to view it. DId you notice that FireFox 1.0 was
| downloaded over a million times the first DAY it was available? Hallelujiah!
|

| I am the systems administrator at a television station and so am used to
| dealing with new technology. I have never had as many problems with a single
| piece of software (and let me tell you, video-editing, TV production, and
| graphics software can be extremely touchy and hard to work with) as I have
| with SP2. It has bolluxed up so many systems at my station, rendering some
| applications totally unusable, that I have removed it from every machine I
| have. I've talked to the administration and we are looking into moving away
| from all MS products and following the growing trend of dismantling our
| Windows infrastructure.
|
| I truly hope that the recent trend in computing to move away from the
| monopolistic domination of MS is but the first scratchings of the proverbial
| writing on the wall that will soon say that MS is on its way out. Maybe it
| won't come soon, certainly not soon enough for any thinking and rational IT
| person, but I think it is coming and on that day I will rejoice.
|
| Thanks, again, Billy. SP2 did it's job well enough for me.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 2:43:15 PM

If SP-2 "bolluxed up so many systems at my station" what did they have in
common?
Since you have many computers, did you test SP-2 on a small sampling before
installing?
Was all the software and hardware compatible with SP-2 as verified by the
manufacturer?

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"velozoom30" <velozoom30@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to Microsoft's WindowsXP SP2, I have finally made the move to open
> source applications. I've wanted to make the move for some time but some
> laziness on my part has delayed me. Thanks, Billy, for pushing out the
> SP2
> and specifically the security center because that horrid piece of
> programming
> (I call SP2 the new WinME) finally made me so angry and frustrated with
> you
> and your company that I built up a Linux box at home and will soon be
> migrating all of my personal equipment over to the Penguin. If I am
> browsing
> and come across some content that will only work in your non-W3c standards
> compliant browser, I refuse to view it. DId you notice that FireFox 1.0
> was
> downloaded over a million times the first DAY it was available?
> Hallelujiah!
>

> I am the systems administrator at a television station and so am used to
> dealing with new technology. I have never had as many problems with a
> single
> piece of software (and let me tell you, video-editing, TV production, and
> graphics software can be extremely touchy and hard to work with) as I have
> with SP2. It has bolluxed up so many systems at my station, rendering
> some
> applications totally unusable, that I have removed it from every machine
> have. I've talked to the administration and we are looking into moving
> away
> from all MS products and following the growing trend of dismantling our
> Windows infrastructure.
>
> I truly hope that the recent trend in computing to move away from the
> monopolistic domination of MS is but the first scratchings of the
> proverbial
> writing on the wall that will soon say that MS is on its way out. Maybe
> it
> won't come soon, certainly not soon enough for any thinking and rational
> IT
> person, but I think it is coming and on that day I will rejoice.
>
> Thanks, again, Billy. SP2 did it's job well enough for me.
March 18, 2005 11:40:02 PM

"velozoom30" <velozoom30@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks to Microsoft's WindowsXP SP2, I have finally made the move to open
>source applications. I've wanted to make the move for some time but some
>laziness on my part has delayed me. Thanks, Billy, for pushing out the SP2
>and specifically the security center because that horrid piece of programming
>(I call SP2 the new WinME) finally made me so angry and frustrated with you
>and your company that I built up a Linux box at home and will soon be
>migrating all of my personal equipment over to the Penguin. If I am browsing
>and come across some content that will only work in your non-W3c standards
>compliant browser, I refuse to view it. DId you notice that FireFox 1.0 was
>downloaded over a million times the first DAY it was available? Hallelujiah!
>

>I am the systems administrator at a television station and so am used to
>dealing with new technology. I have never had as many problems with a single
>piece of software (and let me tell you, video-editing, TV production, and
>graphics software can be extremely touchy and hard to work with) as I have
>with SP2. It has bolluxed up so many systems at my station, rendering some
>applications totally unusable, that I have removed it from every machine I
>have. I've talked to the administration and we are looking into moving away
>from all MS products and following the growing trend of dismantling our
>Windows infrastructure.
>
>I truly hope that the recent trend in computing to move away from the
>monopolistic domination of MS is but the first scratchings of the proverbial
>writing on the wall that will soon say that MS is on its way out. Maybe it
>won't come soon, certainly not soon enough for any thinking and rational IT
>person, but I think it is coming and on that day I will rejoice.
>
>Thanks, again, Billy. SP2 did it's job well enough for me.

If this is an example of your computer and problem solving skills then
I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to your employer.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 1:37:48 PM

As a Sysadmin, you applied something to a production environment and did not
anticipate any issues or do any research prior? No test bed?
..................and you still have a job?

Can I be your assistant? Sign me up!
!