Sign in with
Your question

Finding the right replacement PSU

Last response: in Components
January 7, 2004 6:20:59 AM

Hello folks,

I have a 350w Enermax PSU that needs put out to pasture. Nearly every connector has developed a short. If I touch a wire or bump the case, fun stuff happens.

I'm looking to replace it before it starts destroying hardware, but I need some informed advice. I would like to stay away from another Enermax PSU, not because of my current problem, but because Enermax's cables are ENTIRELY too long. These things would probably make a mess out of even a full tower case.

And about Antec, a supposed respected manufacturer -- I have been reading a fair amount of negative things about them lately, both on these forums and in consumer reviews on newegg.com. I think I'd like to avoid Antec.

That said, I need something to power the following system and keep the rails in check:

AMD Thunderbird 1200
GeForce 4 Ti4200
2 sticks of RAM
2 hard drives
DVD-ROM
Burner
Another burner
3 PCI cards

My system stays on 24/7 under full CPU load for <A HREF="http://www.hardfolding.com/index.php?go=29" target="_new">[H]ard|Folding</A>.

According to information I've seen in this forum, my rails, though slightly below their rating, are OK:

12v: 12.185
5v: 4.608
3.3v: 3.176

Perhaps this information would help in suggesting a replacement. I would like the PSU to be a quiet runner, but that's a bonus -- it's not necessary.

Has anyone got any ideas/opinions? I've been seeing a lot of recommendations here for Fortron PSUs. Thanks for your help.
January 26, 2004 2:13:15 PM

Quote:
Enermax's cables are ENTIRELY too long. These things would probably make a mess out of even a full tower case.

Hear, hear! I assume he's upset the most about the length of the sheathed Enermax cable. It does seem quite ridiculous. But what about that Forton PSU? Doesn't that look just as long? View the second pic from KrazeIke's newegg link.

Can anyone give some first-hand information on the length of the Forton cables? I have an Enermax too, and I'm also quite peeved about the excessive length of the cables.
Related resources
January 29, 2004 7:48:14 PM

Anyone?

I'd really like some information on this...
January 29, 2004 10:04:06 PM

Ask Crashman he's the Fortron expert.
February 3, 2004 1:42:43 AM

LOL, your problem is that GOOD supplies use LONG cables so they can reach ALL the bays, etc, in a full tower case. Sorry to break the news to you.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!