Sign in with
Your question

Athlon-m vs. centrino

Last response: in Mobile Computing
August 12, 2005 4:51:12 PM

hey,

anyone know how the two compares against each other?

Thanks,

More about : athlon centrino

August 12, 2005 6:07:56 PM

What exactly you're asking?

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
August 13, 2005 7:08:08 AM

I think he is asking how they compare referencing speed, battery life, and other things. I'm starting to ask the same questions because I'm interested in buying a laptop. From the prices. You can get a AMD 64 3200 from HP for about a grand and only get a Intel 1.6 for about a grand from Dell. Which proceesor is the better buy is the question? Of course the specs referencing the two machines are about the same considering 512 megs of ram, screen, ect.
Related resources
August 13, 2005 5:26:58 PM

Well, the thing with today’s laptops is that they are so close in performance that I kind of hesitate to even bother with it. My preference in laptops was always Intel because of a better life span (still working on P3 IBMs and do not wish to get something different), but with present AMD offerings there is not much to bother with as far as heat and performance goes.

In present offerings I would look more and closer in GPU and options than in CPU itself. If AMD configuration gives you better screen, keyboard and video, why not get it? I am an IBM fella, which means I do only what I need on the laptop which is business type of stuff (type, read, program) so have to have best keyboard, quiet system and easy on eyes screen. If you are looking for bland of work/gaming you still need a good keyboard and screen besides CPU and GPU, and from what many peepel have experienced Toshiba, HP and Fujitsu offer the best bang for the beautiful screen performance laptop. Dell has no good screens, they all bluish-grey, keyboard on those horribly designed, bulky. Toshiba might be a little noisy, HP is a nice bland of everything, Averatec has very good screens and keyboards but you pay for GPU if there is one there.

Well, whichever you think fits your needs, just get it and be happy with it. As I've said, even though I am performance freak, I still prefer ease of use and eye sight over performance, caz I work on the thing whole day (and night sometimes).

August 13, 2005 6:41:24 PM

Intel's Centrino is the best solution imo for notebooks. Very powerful and low power draw. Win Win.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
August 13, 2005 7:15:21 PM

I was just trying to tell the guy that performance is not all that counts in a laptop, PC yeah, they are pretty much upgradable to whatever at any time, but laptop gets stuck with you for a bit without chanches, so choose wisely considering every aspect of usability you get from it, anyway.. every body has their own wants, right?

August 13, 2005 7:28:36 PM

I like the AMD 64bit aspect considering that most programs coming out in the next year or two will be able to harness the chipset. I just wish the dual cores would be placed on the market soon at a reasonable price. That is not likely to happen for the next year or two.
August 14, 2005 3:12:15 AM

Actually some of those IBM thinkpads seem quite cheap. The only question that I really possess references the Intel Extreme Graphics 2 cards. Regarding possibly playing games.
August 14, 2005 8:41:13 PM

No FPS games on that one, strategy.. oh yeah.

August 16, 2005 2:18:26 PM

When I'm helping my friend get her laptop
I'm taking into account:
design
looks
ergonomics
CPU (this is what my Q is about)
GPU
RAM - type/speed
HDD size/rpm
screen size

CPU is important cause of batt life, she has to take her laptop to school. Aso, performance wise its also important, she does run some CPU intensive apps every now and then for school. I don't want her having to deal with delays that I have to if I used my desktop.

P4 - batt eater/heat generator
P4-M (centrino if u have integrated wireless)
- amazing I read the article on it
P4-Celeron-M - close to the P4-M on all aspects

But I know nothing about AMD laptop chips.
I know AMD chips generate less heat/eat less power than P4s.
But when compared the centrino, I dunno.
I've seen these chips on the market
AMD athlon 64-m
AMD sepheron.

just trying to get the best bang for the buck
and I know my friend trusts me so I don't want to
let her down.

Thanks!
August 16, 2005 3:05:22 PM

Oh, that is different now, if you do not wish to let someone down, then get Centrino (I would strongly recommend IBM T42) and be done with it. There is no better ergonomics (and battery life afak). As far as everything else, mostly all Centrino laptops have the same stuff with variation of GPU, screen and design. But then again, you did not specify any of those accounts before, so please be more specific next time.

August 16, 2005 4:13:59 PM

The words best bang for the buck notebook sounds like Dell

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
August 16, 2005 4:24:42 PM

Ohh, please! Dell notebooks are way too expensive. When compared to HP. Plus, HP has the AMD chips. I got to play with a notebook that possessed a AMD 3000+ 64 bit chip. That thing ran circles around the same notebook with an Intel chip in it.
August 16, 2005 4:33:10 PM

Not compared to blahs IBM, tho...
HP's are good also, just not as many configuration options as Dell.

August 16, 2005 6:13:54 PM

Hey, hey, what's up with my IBM?

August 16, 2005 6:15:27 PM

Sweet mooolah, abdoolah!

August 16, 2005 6:21:39 PM

Answer the question, mooolah!

June 13, 2009 10:34:52 AM

Find Activitybreaks.com All Coupons, Deals, Discounts and Promo Codes, Online Shopping Coupons at:pt1cable:  Deals365.us. The Activitybreaks.com Latest Coupon Codes provided by :hello:  Deals365.us an e-commerce search site specializing in Activitybreaks.com Promotional codes, Discounts, Coupon Codes, Free Shipping Discounts and Special Discount Coupons. Find and Get :kaola:  Activitybreaks.com free Printable coupons, Discount codes, Coupon codes & Promotional codes at :whistle:  Deals365.us:bounce:  .
July 13, 2009 6:47:50 AM

Dell=Centrino=Cheap and reliable. Very good warranty..

As far as the Athlon-M, I have never used one so I cant compare.
!