Endust

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2004
For those of you who have any experience with Shuttle PCs - Shuttle PCs only come with a 220-watt PSU and I have not seen any information on upgrading to a better PSU. The only upgrade for the PSU I have seen is only a 250-watt silent one. If you were to build a higher end computer using a Shuttle, 220-watt is not going to be an adequate PSU, right? A Radeon 9800 Pro or other high-end cards require a 300-watt PSU alone so 220watt is not going to do it. Can you upgrade Shuttle PSUs? Does Shuttle use some special technology or something, so the 220-watt is ok? Any help you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd just build a standard PC, if you need portability buy a micro ATX thin tower with a handle on top.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dstell

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I run my Shuttle SN45G with a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB with no problems.

As a general rule the power supplies in the MicroATX and Shuttle style cases are of higher quality and output than many if not most of your run of the mill ATX power supplies.

According to Fortron their MicroATX power supply should handle most standard MicroATX configurations with no problems. In our MicroATX test configuration, we had an Athlon 3200, 512MB Of Kingston HyperX, Radeon AIW 9800 Pro, 180GB Deskstar Hard Drive, Lite DVD/CDRW combo drive and a floppy connected to the Biostar MicroATX nForce2 motherboard with no problems.

In my SN45G Shuttle, I have Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, Lite On DVD/CDRW combo drive, Floppy drive, 180GB Hitachi Drive drive, and 1GB of Kingston HyperX DDR 400. In addition, I have a single slot fan connected using the PCI slot. I have had no issues with this configuration as well.

At least this gives you some idea on what my experience has been.

acron1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I second DSTELL.
I run a Shuttle SK41G with a Athlon XP 2400+ and a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with ONLY a 200W PS and I have no problems at all with Win 2000 24/7. It's true that XPC's have higher quality PS than most PC's.

Beam me up Scotty.