Frustrating mouse problem

I have a problem with moving my mouse around on my desktop. It is kind of
unusual so I will do my best to try and describe it. I am using Windows XP
Home edition. My frustrating problem is that when I have multiple windows
open and I mouse away from the window that I am working on, another window
will be highlighted and will overlay on the window I am working on without
clicking the mouse. This
gets very frustrating when you have toolbars that you are using in a program
and you try clicking on a toolbar only to get another window popping up from
somewhere else. I know I could close all other windows, but I don't think I
should have to do that. Can anyone help with this?

Could this be a virus?

Thanks in advance,
Greg
6 answers Last reply
More about frustrating mouse problem

    Greg wrote:
    > I have a problem with moving my mouse around on my desktop. It is
    > kind of unusual so I will do my best to try and describe it. I am
    > using Windows XP Home edition. My frustrating problem is that when I
    > have multiple windows open and I mouse away from the window that I am
    > working on, another window will be highlighted and will overlay on
    > the window I am working on without clicking the mouse. This
    > gets very frustrating when you have toolbars that you are using in a
    > program and you try clicking on a toolbar only to get another window
    > popping up from somewhere else. I know I could close all other
    > windows, but I don't think I should have to do that. Can anyone help
    > with this?
    > Could this be a virus?
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    > Greg

    There is an X-window switch in TweakUI XP that will invoke this
    behavior. In you mouse settings, check for a setting for changing focus
    to inactive window on hover, or similar.

    Hi Greg
    I seem to have a similar problem. Did you manage to solve yours? If so,
    could you tell me how?
    Thanks
    Sophie

    "Greg" wrote:

    > I have a problem with moving my mouse around on my desktop. It is kind of
    > unusual so I will do my best to try and describe it. I am using Windows XP
    > Home edition. My frustrating problem is that when I have multiple windows
    > open and I mouse away from the window that I am working on, another window
    > will be highlighted and will overlay on the window I am working on without
    > clicking the mouse. This
    > gets very frustrating when you have toolbars that you are using in a program
    > and you try clicking on a toolbar only to get another window popping up from
    > somewhere else. I know I could close all other windows, but I don't think I
    > should have to do that. Can anyone help with this?
    >
    > Could this be a virus?
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    > Greg

    That fixed my problem. Thank you very much Quaoar.

    > Greg wrote:
    >> I have a problem with moving my mouse around on my desktop. It is
    >> kind of unusual so I will do my best to try and describe it. I am
    >> using Windows XP Home edition. My frustrating problem is that when I
    >> have multiple windows open and I mouse away from the window that I am
    >> working on, another window will be highlighted and will overlay on
    >> the window I am working on without clicking the mouse. This
    >> gets very frustrating when you have toolbars that you are using in a
    >> program and you try clicking on a toolbar only to get another window
    >> popping up from somewhere else. I know I could close all other
    >> windows, but I don't think I should have to do that. Can anyone help
    >> with this?
    >> Could this be a virus?
    >>

    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Greg
    >
    > There is an X-window switch in TweakUI XP that will invoke this behavior.
    > In you mouse settings, check for a setting for changing focus to inactive
    > window on hover, or similar.

    Hi Sophie,

    I did get a response addressing this situation that helped me. Check it
    out...

    There is an X-window switch in TweakUI XP that will invoke this
    behavior. In your mouse settings, go to X-Mouse and uncheck "Activation
    follows mouse".

    Greg

    "Sophie" <sophie@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Greg
    > I seem to have a similar problem. Did you manage to solve yours? If so,
    > could you tell me how?
    > Thanks
    > Sophie
    >
    > "Greg" wrote:
    >
    >> I have a problem with moving my mouse around on my desktop. It is kind
    >> of
    >> unusual so I will do my best to try and describe it. I am using Windows
    >> XP
    >> Home edition. My frustrating problem is that when I have multiple windows
    >> open and I mouse away from the window that I am working on, another
    >> window
    >> will be highlighted and will overlay on the window I am working on
    >> without
    >> clicking the mouse. This
    >> gets very frustrating when you have toolbars that you are using in a
    >> program
    >> and you try clicking on a toolbar only to get another window popping up
    >> from
    >> somewhere else. I know I could close all other windows, but I don't think
    >> should have to do that. Can anyone help with this?
    >>
    >> Could this be a virus?
    >>

    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Greg

    Hi Greg,
    Thanks for your quick answer!
    I had noticed that suggestion in the thread, and since it is one of just two
    suggestions that I had not tried yet (the other being the HijackThis log), I
    was exploring it as I received your answer.
    The problem is: I don't seem to have TweakUI XP (or any other TweakUI) on my
    computer, or at least I don't know where to look for it (I just run a search).
    Can you please help me a little further?
    Thank you again
    Sophie
    PS: If I need to download TweakUI XP I know where to get it.

    "Greg" wrote:

    > Hi Sophie,
    >
    > I did get a response addressing this situation that helped me. Check it
    > out...
    >
    > There is an X-window switch in TweakUI XP that will invoke this
    > behavior. In your mouse settings, go to X-Mouse and uncheck "Activation
    > follows mouse".
    >
    > Greg
    >

    > "Sophie" <sophie@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Greg
    > > I seem to have a similar problem. Did you manage to solve yours? If so,
    > > could you tell me how?
    > > Thanks
    > > Sophie
    > >
    > > "Greg" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have a problem with moving my mouse around on my desktop. It is kind
    > >> of
    > >> unusual so I will do my best to try and describe it. I am using Windows
    > >> XP
    > >> Home edition. My frustrating problem is that when I have multiple windows
    > >> open and I mouse away from the window that I am working on, another
    > >> window
    > >> will be highlighted and will overlay on the window I am working on
    > >> without
    > >> clicking the mouse. This
    > >> gets very frustrating when you have toolbars that you are using in a
    > >> program
    > >> and you try clicking on a toolbar only to get another window popping up
    > >> from
    > >> somewhere else. I know I could close all other windows, but I don't think
    > >> should have to do that. Can anyone help with this?
    > >>
    > >> Could this be a virus?
    > >>

    > >> Thanks in advance,
    > >> Greg

    Hi Greg,
    Disregard previous message. I have installed TweakUI XP, and verufied that
    in X-Mouse and the option "Activation follows mouse" was unchecked. So this
    solution did not work for me. Thank you anyway.
    Sophie

    "Greg" wrote:

    > Hi Sophie,
    >
    > I did get a response addressing this situation that helped me. Check it
    > out...
    >
    > There is an X-window switch in TweakUI XP that will invoke this
    > behavior. In your mouse settings, go to X-Mouse and uncheck "Activation
    > follows mouse".
    >
    > Greg
    >

    > "Sophie" <sophie@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Greg
    > > I seem to have a similar problem. Did you manage to solve yours? If so,
    > > could you tell me how?
    > > Thanks
    > > Sophie
    > >
    > > "Greg" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have a problem with moving my mouse around on my desktop. It is kind
    > >> of
    > >> unusual so I will do my best to try and describe it. I am using Windows
    > >> XP
    > >> Home edition. My frustrating problem is that when I have multiple windows
    > >> open and I mouse away from the window that I am working on, another
    > >> window
    > >> will be highlighted and will overlay on the window I am working on
    > >> without
    > >> clicking the mouse. This
    > >> gets very frustrating when you have toolbars that you are using in a
    > >> program
    > >> and you try clicking on a toolbar only to get another window popping up
    > >> from
    > >> somewhere else. I know I could close all other windows, but I don't think
    > >> should have to do that. Can anyone help with this?
    > >>
    > >> Could this be a virus?
    > >>

    > >> Thanks in advance,
    > >> Greg

Mice Microsoft Windows XP