Frustrating mouse problem

March 19, 2005 10:05:50 AM

I have a problem with moving my mouse around on my desktop. It is kind of
unusual so I will do my best to try and describe it. I am using Windows XP
Home edition. My frustrating problem is that when I have multiple windows
open and I mouse away from the window that I am working on, another window
will be highlighted and will overlay on the window I am working on without
clicking the mouse. This
gets very frustrating when you have toolbars that you are using in a program
and you try clicking on a toolbar only to get another window popping up from
somewhere else. I know I could close all other windows, but I don't think I
should have to do that. Can anyone help with this?

Could this be a virus?

Thanks in advance,
Greg
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 12:52:23 PM

Greg wrote:
> I have a problem with moving my mouse around on my desktop. It is
> kind of unusual so I will do my best to try and describe it. I am
> using Windows XP Home edition. My frustrating problem is that when I
> have multiple windows open and I mouse away from the window that I am
> working on, another window will be highlighted and will overlay on
> the window I am working on without clicking the mouse. This
> gets very frustrating when you have toolbars that you are using in a
> program and you try clicking on a toolbar only to get another window
> popping up from somewhere else. I know I could close all other
> windows, but I don't think I should have to do that. Can anyone help
> with this?
> Could this be a virus?
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Greg

There is an X-window switch in TweakUI XP that will invoke this
behavior. In you mouse settings, check for a setting for changing focus
to inactive window on hover, or similar.

March 20, 2005 12:07:20 AM

Hi Greg
I seem to have a similar problem. Did you manage to solve yours? If so,
could you tell me how?
Thanks
Sophie

"Greg" wrote:

> I have a problem with moving my mouse around on my desktop. It is kind of
> unusual so I will do my best to try and describe it. I am using Windows XP
> Home edition. My frustrating problem is that when I have multiple windows
> open and I mouse away from the window that I am working on, another window
> will be highlighted and will overlay on the window I am working on without
> clicking the mouse. This
> gets very frustrating when you have toolbars that you are using in a program
> and you try clicking on a toolbar only to get another window popping up from
> somewhere else. I know I could close all other windows, but I don't think I
> should have to do that. Can anyone help with this?
>
> Could this be a virus?
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Greg

Related resources
March 20, 2005 8:56:34 AM

That fixed my problem. Thank you very much Quaoar.

> Greg wrote:
>> I have a problem with moving my mouse around on my desktop. It is
>> kind of unusual so I will do my best to try and describe it. I am
>> using Windows XP Home edition. My frustrating problem is that when I
>> have multiple windows open and I mouse away from the window that I am
>> working on, another window will be highlighted and will overlay on
>> the window I am working on without clicking the mouse. This
>> gets very frustrating when you have toolbars that you are using in a
>> program and you try clicking on a toolbar only to get another window
>> popping up from somewhere else. I know I could close all other
>> windows, but I don't think I should have to do that. Can anyone help
>> with this?
>> Could this be a virus?
>>

>> Thanks in advance,
>> Greg
>
> There is an X-window switch in TweakUI XP that will invoke this behavior.
> In you mouse settings, check for a setting for changing focus to inactive
> window on hover, or similar.

March 20, 2005 9:01:44 AM

Hi Sophie,

I did get a response addressing this situation that helped me. Check it
out...

There is an X-window switch in TweakUI XP that will invoke this
behavior. In your mouse settings, go to X-Mouse and uncheck "Activation
follows mouse".

Greg

"Sophie" <sophie@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
news:D C2CEDC8-77BB-4608-A0D5-4A07B375F2B2@microsoft.com...
> Hi Greg
> I seem to have a similar problem. Did you manage to solve yours? If so,
> could you tell me how?
> Thanks
> Sophie
>
> "Greg" wrote:
>
>> I have a problem with moving my mouse around on my desktop. It is kind
>> of
>> unusual so I will do my best to try and describe it. I am using Windows
>> XP
>> Home edition. My frustrating problem is that when I have multiple windows
>> open and I mouse away from the window that I am working on, another
>> window
>> will be highlighted and will overlay on the window I am working on
>> without
>> clicking the mouse. This
>> gets very frustrating when you have toolbars that you are using in a
>> program
>> and you try clicking on a toolbar only to get another window popping up
>> from
>> somewhere else. I know I could close all other windows, but I don't think
>> should have to do that. Can anyone help with this?
>>
>> Could this be a virus?
>>

>> Thanks in advance,
>> Greg

March 20, 2005 9:31:07 AM

Hi Greg,
Thanks for your quick answer!
I had noticed that suggestion in the thread, and since it is one of just two
suggestions that I had not tried yet (the other being the HijackThis log), I
was exploring it as I received your answer.
The problem is: I don't seem to have TweakUI XP (or any other TweakUI) on my
computer, or at least I don't know where to look for it (I just run a search).
Can you please help me a little further?
Thank you again
Sophie
PS: If I need to download TweakUI XP I know where to get it.

"Greg" wrote:

> Hi Sophie,
>
> I did get a response addressing this situation that helped me. Check it
> out...
>
> There is an X-window switch in TweakUI XP that will invoke this
> behavior. In your mouse settings, go to X-Mouse and uncheck "Activation
> follows mouse".
>
> Greg
>

> "Sophie" <sophie@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
> news:D C2CEDC8-77BB-4608-A0D5-4A07B375F2B2@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Greg
> > I seem to have a similar problem. Did you manage to solve yours? If so,
> > could you tell me how?
> > Thanks
> > Sophie
> >
> > "Greg" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a problem with moving my mouse around on my desktop. It is kind
> >> of
> >> unusual so I will do my best to try and describe it. I am using Windows
> >> XP
> >> Home edition. My frustrating problem is that when I have multiple windows
> >> open and I mouse away from the window that I am working on, another
> >> window
> >> will be highlighted and will overlay on the window I am working on
> >> without
> >> clicking the mouse. This
> >> gets very frustrating when you have toolbars that you are using in a
> >> program
> >> and you try clicking on a toolbar only to get another window popping up
> >> from
> >> somewhere else. I know I could close all other windows, but I don't think
> >> should have to do that. Can anyone help with this?
> >>
> >> Could this be a virus?
> >>

> >> Thanks in advance,
> >> Greg

March 20, 2005 4:07:03 PM

Hi Greg,
Disregard previous message. I have installed TweakUI XP, and verufied that
in X-Mouse and the option "Activation follows mouse" was unchecked. So this
solution did not work for me. Thank you anyway.
Sophie

!