Suddenly Cinemania won't run - NTDVM>EXE???

Hi,
After two years of working perfectly suddenly my copy of MS
Cinemania (or any
16 bit program) will not run on my XP machine. I get a button window
labeled "16
bit Windows Subsystem". The message is
"C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The
system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
applications. Choose "close" to terminate the application." And then
two buttons,
Close and Ignore -- either of which close the window.
A Process Monitor shows that NTDVM.EXE is being run to show this
message --
and keep the Cinemania from running.
Does anyone recognize this condition? Is it a windows problem, or a
virus or
trojan, or what? Thanks.

I have been having the same problems trying to install some games for my
kids. I get the same error message, any help would be great, i have tried
everything I could think of..

"john smith" wrote:

> Hi,
> After two years of working perfectly suddenly my copy of MS
> Cinemania (or any
> 16 bit program) will not run on my XP machine. I get a button window
> labeled "16
> bit Windows Subsystem". The message is
> "C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The
> system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
> applications. Choose "close" to terminate the application." And then
> two buttons,
> Close and Ignore -- either of which close the window.
> A Process Monitor shows that NTDVM.EXE is being run to show this
> message --
> and keep the Cinemania from running.
> Does anyone recognize this condition? Is it a windows problem, or a
> virus or
> trojan, or what? Thanks.

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"john smith" wrote:

| Hi,
| After two years of working perfectly suddenly my copy of MS
| Cinemania (or any
| 16 bit program) will not run on my XP machine. I get a button window
| labeled "16
| bit Windows Subsystem". The message is
| "C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The
| system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
| applications. Choose "close" to terminate the application." And then
| two buttons,
| Close and Ignore -- either of which close the window.
| A Process Monitor shows that NTDVM.EXE is being run to show this
| message --
| and keep the Cinemania from running.
| Does anyone recognize this condition? Is it a windows problem, or a
| virus or
| trojan, or what? Thanks.

thank u so much. that was the answer to a big headache.