Files from internet to phone?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
January 4, 2005 2:26:36 AM

Is there anyway to transfer files from the net to your phone? I have a v710.
I was trying to transfer a ringtone from my computer to my phone and i
emailed it to my vtext.com email address but my phone just came up with a
message and there was no file to download from the message. If anyone has
any ideas...let me know....im planning on getting a transflash card to put
into my phone so I can transfer it that way too....

Thanks!

More about : files internet phone

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 12:27:06 PM

John said the following on 1/3/2005 8:26 PM:
> Is there anyway to transfer files from the net to your phone? I have a v710.
> I was trying to transfer a ringtone from my computer to my phone and i
> emailed it to my vtext.com email address but my phone just came up with a
> message and there was no file to download from the message. If anyone has
> any ideas...let me know....im planning on getting a transflash card to put
> into my phone so I can transfer it that way too....
>
> Thanks!

I use a program called Datapilot, with my LG VX6100, that allows me to
manage the contact list, upload ringtones and use it as a modem. I've
been happy with it.

http://www.susteen.com/phones_verizon.htm

It appears your phone will only support the contact list and modem
functions.

--

Kirk

"Screw the planes, take a train", Me
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 8:00:44 PM

John,

I'm not sure about the transflash card (my phone is a v265 so it doesn't have one), but using Verizon, you can transfer midi/mp3/wav files (labeled as .mid) and images (for sure .jpg, possibly others) by emailing them to <your_phone_number>@vzwpix.com. You may have to go to the website (vzwpix.com) and register before it will work. Please note that sending messages to this address will incur 25 cent charges. So far as I've seen, there's no other way to transfer these files (however, some Windows users have claimed limited success using software called BitPim and a data cable-I've had no luck with it)

Hope this helps you out,
Josh

January 5, 2005 1:42:29 AM

Thanks sooo much!!! It worked!!!! :)

John

"JDBraun via CellPhoneKB.com" <forum@CellPhoneKB.com> wrote in message
news:D b6a94cbb9284667bc462e93e3282bbc@CellPhoneKB.com...
> John,
>
> I'm not sure about the transflash card (my phone is a v265 so it doesn't
> have one), but using Verizon, you can transfer midi/mp3/wav files (labeled
> as .mid) and images (for sure .jpg, possibly others) by emailing them to
> <your_phone_number>@vzwpix.com. You may have to go to the website
> (vzwpix.com) and register before it will work. Please note that sending
> messages to this address will incur 25 cent charges. So far as I've seen,
> there's no other way to transfer these files (however, some Windows users
> have claimed limited success using software called BitPim and a data
> cable-I've had no luck with it)
>
> Hope this helps you out,
> Josh

August 6, 2005 7:36:09 PM

"JDBraun via CellPhoneKB.com" <forum@CellPhoneKB.com> wrote in message
news:D b6a94cbb9284667bc462e93e3282bbc@CellPhoneKB.com...
> John,
>
> I'm not sure about the transflash card (my phone is a v265
> so it doesn't have one), but using Verizon, you can transfer
> midi/mp3/wav files (labeled as .mid)

Why labeled as mid and not what they actually are, e.g. mp3. I'm trying
to get mp3 ringtones from my PC into my V265 phone.

> and images (for sure
> .jpg, possibly others) by emailing them to
> <your_phone_number>@vzwpix.com. You may have to go
> to the website (vzwpix.com) and register before it will work.
> Please note that sending messages to this address will
> incur 25 cent charges.

Aha!!! I've got to try this with my V265. <registered and sent an
email from the PC to my vzwpix.com address> OK, now how do I send 'em
to my phone? They're in my PIX&FLIX Inbox.

> So far as I've seen, there's no other way to transfer these
> files (however, some Windows users have claimed limited
> success using software called BitPim and a data cable
>-I've had no luck with it)
>
> Hope this helps you out,
> Josh

Tried via the Mobile Office Kit and its USB cable, but that doesn't
work (file transfer capability not supported). Can't even get the
Verizon Mobile Office Kit USB drivers to be recognized by Windows 2000
Pro System/Device Manager/Properties.

Thanks!

--
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-------------------------------

"Brimstone" (1998)
[Stone lights a candle for the dead in a Catholic church]
Gina: Who's that for?
Ezekiel Stone: Me.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 8:40:24 PM

"Mac Breck" <macthevorlon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "JDBraun via CellPhoneKB.com" <forum@CellPhoneKB.com> wrote in message
> news:D b6a94cbb9284667bc462e93e3282bbc@CellPhoneKB.com...
> > John,
> >
> > I'm not sure about the transflash card (my phone is a v265
> > so it doesn't have one), but using Verizon, you can transfer
> > midi/mp3/wav files (labeled as .mid)
>
> Why labeled as mid and not what they actually are, e.g. mp3. I'm
trying
> to get mp3 ringtones from my PC into my V265 phone.

Pretend I didn't ask that. :-O The polyphonic soundfiles on my V265
*are* .mid files. I could have sworn they were mp3s.

New question:

So a .wav file with its suffix changed from .wav to .mid will play on
the V265 ??? Isn't there some file conversion you have to do, to save
as a .mid file?

--
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-------------------------------
"Babylon 5: Crusade" (1999)
Galen: "There is always hope, only because it's the one thing that no
one has figured out how to kill yet."
(Galen's obviously never met Warner Brothers, TNT-Atlanta or Sci-Fi.)

"Brimstone" (1998)
[Stone lights a candle for the dead in a Catholic church]
Gina: Who's that for?
Ezekiel Stone: Me.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 8:40:25 PM

Mac Breck wrote:

> So a .wav file with its suffix changed from .wav to .mid will play on
> the V265 ??? Isn't there some file conversion you have to do, to save
> as a .mid file?

I seriously doubt renaming the file would work.

A .wav file is a recorded audio clip.

A .mid file can be played on many devices from phones to MIDI-equipped
musical instruments... but it doesn't contain any audio information. It
contains instructions to the device on how to play the sound.

They're two utterly, completely different file formats that are completely
incompatible with each other.

Company website: http://JustThe.net/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 4:13:28 AM

On my LG VX-7000 phone, anything I send to vzwpix.com comes right to my
phone whether it be a photo or ringtone.

David R. Goyer

"Mac Breck" <macthevorlon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "JDBraun via CellPhoneKB.com" <forum@CellPhoneKB.com> wrote in message
> news:D b6a94cbb9284667bc462e93e3282bbc@CellPhoneKB.com...
>> John,
>>
>> I'm not sure about the transflash card (my phone is a v265
>> so it doesn't have one), but using Verizon, you can transfer
>> midi/mp3/wav files (labeled as .mid)
>
> Why labeled as mid and not what they actually are, e.g. mp3. I'm trying
> to get mp3 ringtones from my PC into my V265 phone.
>
>> and images (for sure
>> .jpg, possibly others) by emailing them to
>> <your_phone_number>@vzwpix.com. You may have to go
>> to the website (vzwpix.com) and register before it will work.
>> Please note that sending messages to this address will
>> incur 25 cent charges.
>
> Aha!!! I've got to try this with my V265. <registered and sent an
> email from the PC to my vzwpix.com address> OK, now how do I send 'em
> to my phone? They're in my PIX&FLIX Inbox.
>

>> So far as I've seen, there's no other way to transfer these
>> files (however, some Windows users have claimed limited
>> success using software called BitPim and a data cable
>>-I've had no luck with it)
>>
>> Hope this helps you out,
>> Josh
>

> Tried via the Mobile Office Kit and its USB cable, but that doesn't
> work (file transfer capability not supported). Can't even get the
> Verizon Mobile Office Kit USB drivers to be recognized by Windows 2000
> Pro System/Device Manager/Properties.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Mac Breck (KoshN)
> -------------------------------
> "Babylon 5: Crusade" (1999)
> Galen: "There is always hope, only because it's the one thing that no
> one has figured out how to kill yet."
> (Galen's obviously never met Warner Brothers, TNT-Atlanta or Sci-Fi.)
>
> "Brimstone" (1998)
> [Stone lights a candle for the dead in a Catholic church]
> Gina: Who's that for?
> Ezekiel Stone: Me.

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:51:31 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Mac Breck wrote:
>
>> So a .wav file with its suffix changed from .wav to .mid will play on
>> the V265 ??? Isn't there some file conversion you have to do, to save
>> as a .mid file?
>
> I seriously doubt renaming the file would work.
>
> A .wav file is a recorded audio clip.
>
> A .mid file can be played on many devices from phones to MIDI-equipped
> musical instruments... but it doesn't contain any audio information. It
> contains instructions to the device on how to play the sound.
>
> They're two utterly, completely different file formats that are
> completely incompatible with each other.

The problem is that .wav files sent to phones are converted to QCP files
by the PIX system, and QCP files cannot be used for some features, such
as ringtones (on Motorola phones, anyway). So you rename the .wav file
to .mid, and the PIX system leaves it alone. But the phone looks at the
header of the file to determine how to process it, not the suffix, so it
knows that it is a WAV file despite the suffix, that CAN be used for
ringtones.
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 5:35:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"JDBraun via CellPhoneKB.com" <forum@CellPhoneKB.com> wrote in message
news:D b6a94cbb9284667bc462e93e3282bbc@CellPhoneKB.com...
> John,
>
> I'm not sure about the transflash card (my phone is a v265
> so it doesn't have one), but using Verizon, you can transfer
> midi/mp3/wav files (labeled as .mid) and images (for sure
> .jpg, possibly others) by emailing them to
> <your_phone_number>@vzwpix.com. You may have to go
> to the website (vzwpix.com) and register before it will work.
> Please note that sending messages to this address will
> incur 25 cent charges. So far as I've seen, there's no other
> way to transfer these files .....

What are YOU using to view the message?
My "Message Center" (the Envelope symbol on my Verizon
V265 desktop) Inbox just lists the following:

"From <my phone number>
You've got a PIX or
FLIX message! To
see it visit
www.vzwpix.com
from an internet
accessible computer
and follow the
instructions."

There is NO ATTACHMENT visible on the V265, which is where I need it.

***How are YOU accessing the attached ringtone from your V265?***

I even tried going the way of the Get It Now "Email Executive" thinking
that I may need an Email Client on the phone to access attachments, but
all that does is access other existing email accounts (Well, sort of, as
I've been unable to get it to logon to my Yahoo account. Haven't tried
my other ISP account yet.)

Maybe the way is to go in via the phone's web access (which I hadn't
wanted to bother with, since web over the phone is slow and laughable on
the miniscule phone screen)?

Man, getting ringtones into this phone is a first class pain in the a**!

--
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-------------------------------
"Babylon 5: Crusade" (1999)
Galen: "There is always hope, only because it's the one thing that no
one has figured out how to kill yet."
(Galen's obviously never met Warner Brothers, TNT-Atlanta or Sci-Fi.)

"Brimstone" (1998)
[Stone lights a candle for the dead in a Catholic church]
Gina: Who's that for?
Ezekiel Stone: Me.
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:30:46 PM

> "JDBraun via CellPhoneKB.com" <forum@CellPhoneKB.com> wrote in message
> news:D b6a94cbb9284667bc462e93e3282bbc@CellPhoneKB.com...
> > John,
> >
> > I'm not sure about the transflash card (my phone is a v265
> > so it doesn't have one), but using Verizon, you can transfer
> > midi/mp3/wav files (labeled as .mid) and images (for sure
> > .jpg, possibly others) by emailing them to
> > <your_phone_number>@vzwpix.com. You may have to go
> > to the website (vzwpix.com) and register before it will work.
> > Please note that sending messages to this address will
> > incur 25 cent charges. So far as I've seen, there's no other
> > way to transfer these files .....
>
> What are YOU using to view the message?
> My "Message Center" (the Envelope symbol on my Verizon
> V265 desktop) Inbox just lists the following:
>
> "From <my phone number>
> You've got a PIX or
> FLIX message! To
> see it visit
> www.vzwpix.com
> from an internet
> accessible computer
> and follow the
> instructions."
>
> There is NO ATTACHMENT visible on the V265, which is where I need it.
>
> ***How are YOU accessing the attached ringtone from your V265?***
>

> I even tried going the way of the Get It Now "Email Executive"
thinking
> that I may need an Email Client on the phone to access attachments,
but
> all that does is access other existing email accounts (Well, sort of,
as
> I've been unable to get it to logon to my Yahoo account. Haven't
tried
> my other ISP account yet.)
>
> Maybe the way is to go in via the phone's web access (which I hadn't
> wanted to bother with, since web over the phone is slow and laughable
on
> the miniscule phone screen)?

Well? <knock, knock> Is there anybody out there? Is there anyone at
home?

--
Mac Breck (KoshN)

!