chr158

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2004
I need to get a new psu and was thinking of a Fortron (based solely on reading reviews) for the following setup:

AMD XP2800+
ABIT NF7S
Corsair 512mb XMS 3200DDR
120Gb Seagate SATA
40Gb crappy thingy (likely to change)
Samcheer PC-89 case (Alu w/1 intake + 2 exhaust)
Soundblaster Audigy Platinum

There are no plans to overclock - not yet anyway, so all will be running at stock speeds. I can get a Fortron source 400w w/120 fan for £39.95, or there's the Fortron source 350w w/120 fan and a pretty blue led for £35.25.

If it's going to be any benefit to get the 400 i will, otherwise should i look forward to a blue glow coming from the rear?

Thanks in advance :)

randy66

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
both are good supplies , the 350w would be enough if you prefer the LED, but for the price difference I'd say go with the 400w
I have the 350w non LED 120mm fan and am very impressed with the quality and stability , using it in a similar type system

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd go with the 350W unit because it's much quieter. I've tested them extensively and found them to output enough power for nearly any system you're likely to own.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I thought it was a mistake, because I've never seen a Fortron 400W with a 120mm fan.

Wow, Fortron just went 120mm on the 400W! w00t, I can start recommending those now as well!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RobD

Champion
Is that really the price in the UK? Can you tell me what sites you've seen those on? I've only seen them branded as Sparkle in the UK, and a shiteload more expensive than that.

<font color=blue>"Look, I know it's old-fashioned, but I'm from the school that believes if God intended us to fly, he wouldn't have invented Spanish air traffic control" - Dave Lister</font color=blue>

chr158

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2004
The only site i've seen them for that price are at <A HREF="http://www.microdirect.co.uk" target="_new"> microdirect </A> which in my limited experience is the cheapest place around. It's also fortunate for me because i live down the road from them :smile: . I haven't checked out their shipping policy though - never had to use it.

If the general concensus is the 400, i'll go for it.
Cheers guys!

Bender9518

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2004
Curiously.... if you get the blue LED on the 350W version you pay $13 more at Newegg ($55 vs $42)... but if you want the LED on the 400W version you pay $2 <b>less</b> ($62 vs $64)!

-------------------
<font color=purple>Bender Unit #9518</font color=purple>

RobD

Champion
Nice one! Looks like they're cheaper than ebuyer and overclockers, the two sites I normally use. Cheers!

<font color=blue>"Look, I know it's old-fashioned, but I'm from the school that believes if God intended us to fly, he wouldn't have invented Spanish air traffic control" - Dave Lister</font color=blue>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Nice Price! Ive ben looking for a cheap(ish) 400 watt Fortron in UK for a while now. Best I could find was about £70 at overclockers.co.uk.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6752830" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>

chr158

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2004
Just glad that i could <i>add</i> a little to the forum this time - makes a change from receiving advice all the time. And just on the off-chance that anyone is studying, they also offer a 10% discount to students with proof of sudentship. (Could always get a nephew/niece/etc to do the shopping if buying major purchase!)

P.S. 120GB 8Mb WD LB (fluid bearing) £3.52 cheaper than 120GB 8Mb WD JB. Any recommendations/comments?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by chr158 on 01/14/04 07:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>