Wireless G PCI Adapter 54MPBS 2.4GHz works in Europe?

Redfox

I am thinking of buying this Linksys adapter, which covers (802.11b and g),
but I will be moving to
Europe soon - Spain-Portugal area.

Is this 2.4 GHz band also available in that part of Europe and in UK and
Ireland?

TIA

rf

> I am thinking of buying this Linksys adapter, which covers (802.11b and g),
> but I will be moving to
> Europe soon - Spain-Portugal area.
>
> Is this 2.4 GHz band also available in that part of Europe and in UK and
> Ireland?

Yes except that if you buy in the US and then come to the UK, you might
be unable to connect if the AP is on channel 13 or 14 which the US
card/drivers/firmware won't let you connect to as that regulatory domain
doesn't permit these channels.

David.

Redfox

"David Taylor" <djtaylor@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> > I am thinking of buying this Linksys adapter, which covers (802.11b and
g),
> > but I will be moving to
> > Europe soon - Spain-Portugal area.
> >
> > Is this 2.4 GHz band also available in that part of Europe and in UK and
> > Ireland?
>
> Yes except that if you buy in the US and then come to the UK, you might
> be unable to connect if the AP is on channel 13 or 14 which the US
> card/drivers/firmware won't let you connect to as that regulatory domain
> doesn't permit these channels.
>
> David.

Thank you David for the alert.

I'll check into it.

rf

Redfox

"RedFox" <RedFox@NoDen.con> wrote in message

> "David Taylor" <djtaylor@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> > > I am thinking of buying this Linksys adapter, which covers (802.11b
and
> g),
> > > but I will be moving to
> > > Europe soon - Spain-Portugal area.
> > >
> > > Is this 2.4 GHz band also available in that part of Europe and in UK
and
> > > Ireland?
> >
> > Yes except that if you buy in the US and then come to the UK, you might
> > be unable to connect if the AP is on channel 13 or 14 which the US
> > card/drivers/firmware won't let you connect to as that regulatory domain
> > doesn't permit these channels.
> >
> > David.
>
> Thank you David for the alert.
>
> I'll check into it.
>
> rf

I just found a very interesting Cisco web site - about Aironet:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008014868c.html

It mentions channels 1 through 14 and the US, Japan, China, EMEA????.....
but not Europe, unless EMEA, which I have never heard of, is related to
Europe.

There is also info about a World Wide Mode

"Enabling and Disabling World-Mode
When you enable world mode, the access point adds channel carrier set
information to its beacon. Client devices with world mode enabled receive
the carrier set information and adjust their settings automatically. For
example, a client device used primarily in Japan could rely on world mode to
adjust its channel and power settings automatically when it travels to Italy
and joins a network there. World mode is disabled by default."

which mentions Italy - in Europe.

There is another page at:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_mod/1800fix/awg/s32rf.htm

which is similar to the above but mentions only 13 channels.

Can you help decipher what is going on?

tia

rf

Seems like I have a blind spot somewhere.

> It mentions channels 1 through 14 and the US, Japan, China, EMEA????.....
> but not Europe, unless EMEA, which I have never heard of, is related to
> Europe.

EMEA = Europe, Middle East & Africa.

> > It mentions channels 1 through 14 and the US, Japan, China,
EMEA????.....
> > but not Europe, unless EMEA, which I have never heard of, is related to
> > Europe.
>
> EMEA = Europe, Middle East & Africa.
>
> David.

Thank you David. Is there anything you don't know :)

rf

> Thank you David. Is there anything you don't know :)

inappropriate flattery, way too much that I don't know. I just happen
to work in EMEA ;)

> > Thank you David. Is there anything you don't know :)
>
> inappropriate flattery, way too much that I don't know. I just happen
> to work in EMEA ;)
>
> David.

Great to find a person who knows where he is :)

rf

> Great to find a person who knows where he is :)

Well I can narrow it down a bit more if pushed ;)

David Taylor <djtaylor@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>> Great to find a person who knows where he is :)

> Well I can narrow it down a bit more if pushed ;)

Does virtualearth.msn.com "locate me" work in EMEA?
Kinda spooky.

--
---

> Does virtualearth.msn.com "locate me" work in EMEA?
> Kinda spooky.

Yes it does but it shows the whole county rather than my office in the
house which is a little disappointing I think. :)

David Taylor <djtaylor@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>> Does virtualearth.msn.com "locate me" work in EMEA?
>> Kinda spooky.

> Yes it does but it shows the whole county rather than my office in the
> house which is a little disappointing I think. :)

It should have sprouted a popup that said you were located by IP address,
which might be your ISP, or it just defaults to the center of the country,
although it picked up the right country ;-)

I think it works via a couple of databases. The cleanest is a table of WAP
MAC addresses that has apparently been entered somewhere, although I've
never heard of it.

Another is a compilation of what searches have been done originating from
particular IP addresses, with an assumption that most zip-code-based
searches are local.

Near my work, an open WAP pinpoints the location exactly. The fact that it
is a wireless company probably lends itself to solution #1, a deliberate
entry into some database.

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/MSLocServSDK10/mels10_SampleCode_FindNearby.asp>

--
---