Formating Hard Drive

I am having trouble formating my second hard drive. Windoes will not allow me
to format it because it says that there are some files in use on this drive,
however i know there are none because the only files that exist on the drive
are from a old game i installed about 2 years ago and have since formated my
C drive and reinstalled a new version of windows. Is there any way of me
forcing the drive to be formatted though a command promt? Thankyou for any
assistance you can provide. Matt Clark
2 answers Last reply
More about formating hard drive

    Try removing the drive letter assignment in Disk Management, then after
    restart; format.
    Start|Run|diskmgmt.msc

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "mattclark120" wrote:
    |I am having trouble formating my second hard drive. Windoes will not allow
    me
    | to format it because it says that there are some files in use on this
    drive,
    | however i know there are none because the only files that exist on the
    drive
    | are from a old game i installed about 2 years ago and have since formated
    my
    | C drive and reinstalled a new version of windows. Is there any way of me
    | forcing the drive to be formatted though a command promt? Thankyou for any
    | assistance you can provide. Matt Clark

    Boot your system up from a floppy startup disk. Then format it from
    the floppy.
    TonySper

    "mattclark120" <mattclark120@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:5908036D-0556-40AC-9EE9-2F65228F111A@microsoft.com...
    I am having trouble formating my second hard drive. Windoes will not
    allow me
    to format it because it says that there are some files in use on this
    drive,
    however i know there are none because the only files that exist on the
    drive
    are from a old game i installed about 2 years ago and have since
    formated my
    C drive and reinstalled a new version of windows. Is there any way of
    me
    forcing the drive to be formatted though a command promt? Thankyou for
    any
    assistance you can provide. Matt Clark

Hard Drives Windows XP