Will Various AntiSpyware Programs Play Together???

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

According to studies being done, no antispyware program is very effective
alone. Brian Livingston's Windows Secrets Newsletter showed that alone,
most are not even 50% effective. The recommendation is to use more than
one. Currently I have Spybot, Ad-Ware SE (free), Microsoft AntiSpware and
Spy Sweeper. Most of these applications offer features that monitor
settings and watch for suspicious behavior, such as TeaTimer, Real-time
Protection and Active Shields.

Though scanning with all the software is probably fine, which active
monitoring features should or shouldn't be used and why? Since some monitor
the same thing, will some not play together or is it possible to have them
all active? Other thoughts?

Thanks for input and direction!

Dan Jensen wrote:
> According to studies being done, no antispyware program is very effective
> alone. Brian Livingston's Windows Secrets Newsletter showed that alone,
> most are not even 50% effective. The recommendation is to use more than
> one. Currently I have Spybot, Ad-Ware SE (free), Microsoft AntiSpware and
> Spy Sweeper. Most of these applications offer features that monitor
> settings and watch for suspicious behavior, such as TeaTimer, Real-time
> Protection and Active Shields.
>
> Though scanning with all the software is probably fine, which active
> monitoring features should or shouldn't be used and why? Since some monitor
> the same thing, will some not play together or is it possible to have them
> all active? Other thoughts?
>
> Thanks for input and direction!

I use Spywareblaster, Spybot S&D, AdAware, Startup Monitor and
RegistryProt (all freeware). They don't seem to interact at all and I
seldom remove anything with S&D or AdAware. Knock on wood:)

Norm

Dan Jensen wrote:

> According to studies being done, no antispyware program is very effective
> alone. Brian Livingston's Windows Secrets Newsletter showed that alone,
> most are not even 50% effective. The recommendation is to use more than
> one. Currently I have Spybot, Ad-Ware SE (free), Microsoft AntiSpware
> and
> Spy Sweeper. Most of these applications offer features that monitor
> settings and watch for suspicious behavior, such as TeaTimer, Real-time
> Protection and Active Shields.
>
> Though scanning with all the software is probably fine, which active
> monitoring features should or shouldn't be used and why? Since some
> monitor the same thing, will some not play together or is it possible to
> have them
> all active? Other thoughts?
>
> Thanks for input and direction!

I have had problems with Spybot Search and Destroy with MS Ant-spyware. I
have found the Spybot S & D NEEDS to be installed first. then everything
works well...

Michael

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Those are all good malware removers with some blocking/immunization
features.

I recommend passive/blocking/immunization, where malware is blocked
from installing, over active scan and remove measures.

Combining SpywareBlaster, IE-SPYAD, and hpguru HOSTS file
w/eDexter+JavaDog - in addition to the blocking/immunization lists
provided by the active scanners - will keep +99% of
spyware/adware/malware from even gaining a foothold on a computer.

Dan Jensen wrote:
> Currently I have Spybot, Ad-Ware SE (free), Microsoft AntiSpware and
> Spy Sweeper. Most of these applications offer features that monitor
> settings and watch for suspicious behavior, such as TeaTimer, Real-time
> Protection and Active Shields.

I have these products installed on various machines (not all on one
machine). If it were me, I'd run M/S AntiSpyware resident (as a
real-time monitor) and leave the other apps for occassional scanning, if
you get an alert, or if you suspect something is not right with your
system. Spy Sweeper is prone to FP, IMO, a bit too much. I think both
AdAware and SpyBot are next tier products, although I do like AdAware.