function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
In my recent quest for a <i>very</i> quiet, as close to silent as I can get computer. I decided my True550 has to go. In that PSU review, they never talked about the Fortron with the 120mm fan I believe and never mentioned anything about noise levels with it.

I know I've been very impressed with Zalman's other products (nb cooler, flower hsf, gpu heatpipe). I can also get it locally, albeit for a little extra cash. I could also get a Seasonic "Super Silencer", call me picky I don't like how none of the wiring is wrapped (at least the atx connector should be for gawd sakes!).

So with all of these being pretty efficient power wise, at least from what I gather. I'm wondering based on noise levels alone, which is the most quiet? Thanks.

G

function9,
I am in the market for a PSU also and have been doing some research in regards to them. My take on this so far is that there are other things to consider other than just quietness. The Fortron I hear is a good PSU and is under rated by about 50 watts. Also they cost less than most others. The 120 mm fan spins slower I believe but that may not mean less noise as the noise made by the fan comes off the tips of the fan blades cutting through the air. Depending on your needs for power and various connections you may want to consider a PSU that has more features. I am going with Enermax Noisetaker 470 watt ATX,and SATA ready, plus a separate 12v lead for the video card, but it goes for $99. Yes Zalman has a good reputation for quietness with their CPU coolers but a PSU may be something else. With the PSU moving air is important and the only way you can do that is with fan blade rotation, and that's where most of the noise come from as the blades cut through the air. Why not insulate the inside of the case as Falcon North West offers as an option?...............

<b>"A politician should do two terms-one in office & one in jail"</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vista on 01/17/04 08:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Zalman gets their power supplies from Fortron. I don't know how much quieter the modified supplies are, but the Fortrons with 120mm fan are supremely quiet.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Thanks guys. I was doing some more looking and I'll probably go with the Fortron 400w. I only have one SATA, so if it's SATA ready that's cool, if not no biggie. I believe teh Fortron's are. I do know the Zalman is about $50-$60 more than the Fortron Source. Thanks again for the help.

[shameless plug]If anyone is interested or anything I'll be getting rid of my True Power 550.[/shameless plug]

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They've been including SATA power recently. If it has a 120mm fan, it's a very recent supply.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Yep, it's got the 120mm fan. At newegg for $64. I was thinking of going with the 350w, but I figured I'd play it safe and go with the 400w. Ahh, only if I could justify that Zalman case ;)

kbedwards

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
I can attest to the near silence of the Fortron...but BE CAREFUL - there are many models for the same wattage, some more quiet than others.

Check out silentpcreview.com in the forums...

I got a 300 watt Fortron with the 120 fan and if I put my ear NEXT to it I cannot hear it. In fact, I was concerned when I first installed it because I thought the fan was not working...it was too quiet. I had to literally stick my head down behind my case to see if the blades were moving. Amazing, and for about $30 too.

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
My fortron 350W with blue glowy and knob is great. Stable voltages like no other. But keep in mind that if you use the knob and put it all the way up it's a loud mother. But.. also if you set it all the way down you seriously can't hear it.
Since my cpu cooler is louder than a hairdryer i don't mind the psu being super loud.. becuase my cases isn't sneaking up on anyone.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081</A>
Figured i'd do it too..reality my ass.