Adding memory to my computer running windows xp.

I added 256 RAM, along with the 128 RAM already there. Everything worked
fine. So now I have 384 mb of RAM. Today, I added another 256 RAM, same make
and model, but my computer goes crazy. My Dell troubleshooting guide says I
can max at 768 mb and covers what needs to be done for Windows 98 and NT, but
not XP.

Can anyone help me please?

Try a diffrent slot for the new memory,with a P4 board with 4 slots,1 & 3
must be the same size,with yours,try 256 in 1 & 3,put the 128 in 2.

"diegonaut" wrote:

> I added 256 RAM, along with the 128 RAM already there. Everything worked
> fine. So now I have 384 mb of RAM. Today, I added another 256 RAM, same make
> and model, but my computer goes crazy. My Dell troubleshooting guide says I
> can max at 768 mb and covers what needs to be done for Windows 98 and NT, but
> not XP.
>
> Can anyone help me please?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In fact, I don't suggest you mix defferent size RAM in the PC, you had better
install the same memoy for stablility.

"diegonaut" wrote:

> I added 256 RAM, along with the 128 RAM already there. Everything worked
> fine. So now I have 384 mb of RAM. Today, I added another 256 RAM, same make
> and model, but my computer goes crazy. My Dell troubleshooting guide says I
> can max at 768 mb and covers what needs to be done for Windows 98 and NT, but
> not XP.
>
> Can anyone help me please?

map

"diegonaut" wrote:

> I added 256 RAM, along with the 128 RAM already there. Everything worked
> fine. So now I have 384 mb of RAM. Today, I added another 256 RAM, same make
> and model, but my computer goes crazy. My Dell troubleshooting guide says I
> can max at 768 mb and covers what needs to be done for Windows 98 and NT, but
> not XP.
>
> Can anyone help me please?

What Dell model #?
I have an 8300 and I must install ram in "pairs"