About CPU Temps while gaming.

Kulten

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Honestly I am not very proficient in this department and would really like some kind of solid answer as to what are safe temperatures inside my PC while gaming. For example when playing SWTOR, my computer goes from an idle temp of around 32C to about 55C.

Here is my setup, I have some money to spend and any information on what could improve my performance would be much appreciated.

CPU : Intel i5 760@ 2.8ghz

RAM : 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel

Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 2GB 16X PCIe

Power Supply : 750 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-750TX 80

Cooling : XtremeGear Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan, also have a front and rear exhaust fan.

When I would play some World of Warcraft my computer would remain pretty quiet and stay around 42C; playing SWTOR even on low settings my computer is noticeably louder (like its working much harder) and is around 55C to 60C.

Is this normal or should I take it in and see if there is something that needs to be fixed that I am unaware of? Any information or feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

chippies

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
Just noticed you've got front and rear fans as exhaust. Normally the front fan blows air in while the rear fan acts as exhaust. That might already help.

Just had a look at the Asetek website and it seems your CPU cooler doesn't have a fan attached to it. Is that right? If so, getting a fan fitted, if that's possible should help a lot.

DM186

Splendid
As long as you don't go over 75c to 80c you will be fine. When your frame rates increase you will hear your system get louder under the load. I to have liquid cooling for my CPU It keeps my CPU cooler than my GPU.

Just keep on watching your temps and If they get to high then back out of what you are doing. Depending how much room your case has. It is always better to have more fans if you have the room.

I myself have 7 case fans 3 exhaust and 4 intake. So at idle CPU is at 25c and my GPU is 30c to 35c. When in gaming my FPS is at 60 my temps for my GPU is 59c. My CPU is around 50c. Any I hope this helps a little

skaz

Distinguished
Those temps are fine.

Also From a quick google of your liquid system it appears that it is a cheaper liquid cooling solution. Also seems some people were having reliability issues with it. Maybe in the future you would want to scrap that specific liquid cooling solution for something better (liquid or air).

skaz

Distinguished
No problem man, keep an eye on those temps and make make sure that liquid system does it's job. I'm sure its under warranty through I'm assuming cyberpc right? (haven't seen that specific liquid cooling offered anywhere else)?

If you end up wanting to go air the thermalright silver arrow, Thermalright Archon, and Noctua nh-d14 are good choices.

And for a budget friendly choice - Coolermaster hyper 212 evo