windows is crashing

I have been having problems with xp...I keep getting a blue screen and it
says its dumping memory.....can't figure out what is causing problem. tried
reinstalling just windows, installing and uninstalling service pack 2...no
clue. windows also seems to be recognizing a secondary graphics card when
there is only 1 AGP card. If i reinstall windows am I going to have a
problem re-registering (also thought about adding a new hard drive and
memory...thought this might cause a problemwith re-registering).

How many times can u reinstall windows on the same computer?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:B313F128-9065-439F-A01F-C137A9299068@microsoft.com,
squig <squig@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I have been having problems with xp...I keep getting a blue screen
> and it says its dumping memory.....can't figure out what is causing
> problem. tried reinstalling just windows, installing and
> uninstalling service pack 2...no clue. windows also seems to be
> recognizing a secondary graphics card when there is only 1 AGP card.
> If i reinstall windows am I going to have a problem re-registering
> (also thought about adding a new hard drive and memory...thought this
> might cause a problemwith re-registering).
>
> How many times can u reinstall windows on the same computer?

To answer your question you can install it as many times as you'd like but
eventually you may have to call to activate it. To give you a starting point
on where to start troubleshooting your computer does your computer also have
on-board graphics support as well as a separate card? If so then enter your
setup utility on boot (usually the del key but it should tell you what to
press to enter setup) and disable the on-board graphics.

Galen

The addition of a new hard drive will cause the activation screen to appear
because you have changed hardware but as for any problems the answer is No.
After a period of 120days the activation is set to zero again anyway. I
don't say reinstall every few weeks or so, but there si nothing stopping you
reinstalling windows xp on the same computer. At worse you will be asked to
telephone the activation line and you simply tell them that you have had
problems and had to reinstall. They should then give you a new activation
code.
Another alternative, but it requires third party software such as Norton
Ghost is to reinstall xp, get it working how you want it and then activate
the copy. Afterwards image the drive to either another drive or partition
or, alternatively to one or two dvd's. If you then have nay problems you can
reimage the backup image back to your original dirve/partition and
everything will be intact. The only disadvantage is if you change any major
hardware components, in which case you need to activate again.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"squig" <squig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been having problems with xp...I keep getting a blue screen and it
> says its dumping memory.....can't figure out what is causing problem.
> tried
> reinstalling just windows, installing and uninstalling service pack 2...no
> clue. windows also seems to be recognizing a secondary graphics card when
> there is only 1 AGP card. If i reinstall windows am I going to have a
> problem re-registering (also thought about adding a new hard drive and
> memory...thought this might cause a problemwith re-registering).
>
> How many times can u reinstall windows on the same computer?

"squig" <squig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have been having problems with xp...I keep getting a blue screen and it
>says its dumping memory.....can't figure out what is causing problem.

What are the contents of the blue screen? That information can be
quite cryptic but all of it is important in terms of identifying the
underlying cause of the problem. This is especially true of any STOP
error code and the 4 paramters that follow the STOP code as well as
any file names that are included.

Post that information back here if you want assistance with resolving
the problem.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--