If I want to format and reinstall XP, which files should I keep to save all
my passwords that work on my websites? (autocomplete)

Windows XP encrypts passwords. You cannot save the passwords
because they will not be recognizable on a fresh install of the
Windows XP operating system. You'll need to write them down
and manually re-enter them when you visit the web sites.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP