Bittorrent causing hard drive damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahimiv

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2003
Someone tells me that bittorrent can cause hard drive damage, is that true? if so what can be done to prevent it?

No it can't. I could go into the reasons why your friend might think it does but I have work to go to. Sorry.

Geodave

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2005
The simple answer is that many people believe Bittorrent and other fragment-download programs (Emule, etc), when used for DAYS or WEEKS consecutively, can put a large amount of strain on your hard drive and damage it.

Usually if your drive fails, it's for a reason completely unrelated to bittorrent; it's my belief that these claims are mostly bogus.

People kick, knock, hit and abuse their computers constantly, introducing dust and vibrations into the harddrive, where it of course fails after a single freekin' year...and they blame Bittorrent? I don't think so.

rahimiv

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2003
Yea, I figured, but if you got a bossy sister who knows nothing about computers yet tells you "you cant use bittorrent cause you'll break my harddrive" then thats something.

riser

Illustrious
Well, if it's her computer, you should listen to her regardless.

You could download a virus which might cause a problem.. but that's common knowledge.

You are though, putting extra wear & tear on her hard drive.. which will happen either way, but it's going to happen either way.

Besides, if you're downloading anything illegal, she's liable for you. heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.