EA to Take Star Wars: The Old Republic Global

Status
Not open for further replies.

fspikec

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Great, after seeing the videos, I was starting to already be disappointed in the game. Now, I have a completely valid reason to not buy it.

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
who cares whos marketing it..... whos making it is what counts. EA keep your fingers out of production and time tables and let them make a good game. You just focus on the billboards

fspikec

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]Indeed, I likely won't even try to play this.[/citation]

I'll take Jar Jar over a game released 6 months ahead of original release date which ends up killing the game cause it wasn't ready. Yeah, I'm talking about Hellgate: London.

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Yeah I'm going to hold out for kotor3 I'm not an MMO fan anyways. Although if I was I'd be all over this like butter on bread.

Vilekon

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
[citation][nom]tekeffect[/nom]who cares whos marketing it..... whos making it is what counts. EA keep your fingers out of production and time tables and let them make a good game. You just focus on the billboards[/citation]

The problem is that EA prefers to push devs to make a game that's simple so that the mass market will eat it up. It's EA's history of buying out devs and milking them.

Simple maybe be fun for a little while but ends up killing the game in the long run.

Moop69

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
[citation][nom]meluvcookies[/nom]Hooray for EA, Kiss of Death for SW:TOR?[/citation]
I totally agree...look what EA did to Warhammer

nrgx

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Guess I won't be buying this game after all. I will never buy another game from EA unless they change their horrible policies. For example, the last time I checked there is no way to get tech support from an actual person unless I give a bunch of personal information to EA games. EA games, you don't need to know how old I am to support the game I paid good money to play, and if I pirated the game I wouldn't even need tech support. Once again anti-piracy measures screw over legitimate paying customers and rewards the pirates.

p3t3or

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
I lost interest in this game about a year ago because it is taking forever to come out. It is already out dated. Guild Wars 2 here I come.

fspikec

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
They are here, and it's not hating on MMO's. It's hating on EA's practices with MMOs. EA has ruined several MMO's over the past few years and shows no signs of stopping. I will not buy any EA game. Period.

ozwyn

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
The problem is MMO's live or die in the first 3 months, and really in the first month of launch. EA has historically had a bad habit of pushing developers into releasing MMO's that do not have the right mix of content, server stability and relatively low bug count. The sooner rather than later line of the author is the great mistake EA makes. Sooner is not better than later. A clean release, even if the graphics are dated, is far superior and allows for long term success. Blizzard has NEVER had a graphically "current" release for any fo their games. The graphics is perpetually dated, but the games tend to be less buggy, more stable, and usually better than average on content. That's also why in spite fo incredibly long development times, they get the return on investment. MMO's are a business where quality of release in terms of stability, content and bug count is far more important than graphics, and much more important than getting the product released quickly. If they have any sense at all, they will invest the time to get it right, because there are numerous failed MMO's already in the market, and we don't need another.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]Wow, is disliking MMO's in general unpopular around here?I thought there would be more oldschool people here.Whateves, I'mma go fire up Baldur's Gate Trilogy...[/citation]

Well, there are too many people who, if it takes more than a year for a game to come out, just go on to the next greatest latest thing. The rest has most have said is EA. Please EA for once keep you grubby little hands off of it. I mean are you guy's just out to ruin every MMO or what?

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]Wow, is disliking MMO's in general unpopular around here?I thought there would be more oldschool people here.Whateves, I'mma go fire up Baldur's Gate Trilogy...[/citation]
Disliking a genre is totally natural. It's the posting of comments stating your disliking of the said genre, without any opinion or fact regarding the article, that is unpopular. Like people who post comments like "I hate Apple" on all Apple-related articles.

Yeah yeah... I broke rule 14.

wikiwikiwhat

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
EA just bought distribution rights. They know how important this game is to LucasArts and Bioware and they understand their track record. EA probably agreed because of the timeline given for the game's release and the fact that they know it will sell. Lucas knows that EA can distribute any game all over the world with ease.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
[citation][nom]blarneypete[/nom]Yeah, yeah. I still want KOTOR3.[/citation]
Couldn't agree more. Too bad they are planning on only using SWTOR to continue the KOTOR storyline. Not that I think this is going to be a bad game or anything but I fear that much of what made KOTOR I and II masterpieces is going to get lost in translation as an MMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.