high voltages ?!?

songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
after reading tom's new article on power supplies I got to thinking that my mine are really high. Here they are:
no load -
+12v - 12.704
+5v - 4.811
+3.3v - 3.264
vcore - 1.92

High cpu load -
+12v - 13.024
+5v - 4.977
+3.3v - 3.248
vcore - 1.92

I have a fully configured system.
Asus A7V8X-GBL -mb
AMD Athlon 2700+ -cpu
1024MB PC2700 Kingston Hyperx DDR -ram
Radeon 9700 Pro -vid
Creative SB Audigy -snd
Bt tv turner w/ capture Card -tv
Promise SATA150 tx2 plus -cc
36.7GB WDC Raptor -hd
200Gb 7200 8mb Maxtor |
80GB 7200 2mb Hitachi |
30Gb WDC 7200 2mb |
20Gb 7200 2mb Maxtor |
4 usb devices. 2.0 and 1.1

And Finally Lead Power 550 Watt Switching Power Supply -
+3.3 | +5 | +12 | -12 | -5 | +5SB |
32a | 40a| 24a | 1.0A|0.5a| 2.0a |

those are straight off of my ps. Do I need to get a better power supply or what? A few things to consider are that my system runs completely stable no hiccups at all, I have powerful fans, and I only have to power leads. So all of my hard drives, fans, cdroms, and my video card, all have to share a lead of power cord. I am just worried about hurting components. If i do or should i a new ps which one and how many watts should i get. Also i will be buying a64 in march/april.

Supporting AMD with your breakable stuff.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by songoku on 01/22/04 04:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
I dont see anything that jumps out at me as a problem. And if all of your components are running perfectly, my suggestion would be to just leave it alone.

You know that saying, "If it ain't broke...."

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Those voltages are fine.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
is there really any differnce between a name brand aka antec and my brand lead power? Because i could upgrade to a 650 watt ps for $45 (http://www.str8buy.com/650wap4andam1.html) or stay at my 550 watt.

Supporting AMD with your breakable stuff.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OMG that thing looks like TRASH, it's identicle in appearence to PowMax. Take a look <A HREF="http://www.sysopt.com/articles/PSU_Perspectives/index2.html" target="_new">Here</A> for clarification from my article.

I don't trust these shoddy power supplies at all, which is why I recommend Fortron.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
Computer builder's wharehouse by my home only sells PowMax and Enermax.
Did i ever mention i hate them there?
No prolly not. I hope they stop breathing.
How the hell does someone run out of OEM xp home copies anyways?
And how can they get away with charging 20 dollars for an oem floppy drive?

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081</A>
Figured i'd do it too..reality my ass.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Enermax is a good brand! You should see what MY local dealer sells...formerly fried power supplies repaired by ME!

And he charges $7 for an OEM floppy drive, new. Or if you show up on the right day you'll find a bunch of old systems, with floppy drives, sitting in front of his shop waiting for transport to the garbage bin.

songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
wouldnt that all be nice. Of course all of up have already been dumper diving. I acually condone it untill you do it in my areas.

My currently thoughts are that 650 watt or the antec true 550 (maybe the control version) or enermax 550. the problem is that in feburady i will be upgrading (again!!!) and the case i want comes with thr antec true 380. WIll that be powerfull enough or not? Do i have to buy the case and then buy another power supply?

PS By the way i am getting an a64 with the abit max3 mb. everything else stays the same.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually my dealer doesn't take his trash out that often. He writes "bad" on it and leaves it lying around the shop. It's a very messy shop. I go in there and ask if he has any trash he'd like repaired, and he gives me a bunch of it. I take it home and attempt a repair.

With power supplies around 1/2 the time the problem is bad capacitors. I pull the capacitors out of the junk supplies and put them in the supplies with bad caps. I keep what I want and sell the rest back to him for $10 each.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, the True Power 380 would probably do, if not the Fortron 400W would be a great choice. If you want a super high output supply consider the Fortron 530W, which is far more powerfull than the Antech 550W.

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
I've replaced a enermax that was dead, but the power was hooked up straight through the wall without a surge protector. i'm not sure if something like that happened.. how it died.. you would most likely know. I just know it smelt burnt.
That's been my only experiences with it. I do know it's a great powersupply but when you can only choose an expensive 550W powersupply or a 15 dollar powersupply it screws me(for some reason they don't stock the average enermax). CBW near me doesn't stock much. If i do go through them which is rare now i usually have to order.
But, another local shop is filled with arseholes and i hate to support them for anything.
So.. i like to order Newegg or accupc whenever possible.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081</A>
Figured i'd do it too..reality my ass.

songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
well sweet guys, after comparing them the Antec true 550 and the Fortron FSP530-60GNA are extremely similar. Now this power supply will support the new a64 right? And i need a power supply that has 3 leads (at least i think they are called leads). 1 for hardrives, 1 for cdroms, and 1 for fans. Does this power supply have that?

PS any ideas on a sweet Beige case? ( i acaully want to go all black, but new a64 or new monitor, speakers, keyboard, ect)

Supporting AMD with your breakable stuff.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by songoku on 01/27/04 06:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Of course it will support the A64, nothing special needed there.

If you want a great deal on a great case Tigerdirect is selling Chieftec Dragon series cases for $30. These are the reference design for Antec's large steel midtowers, made of the same material, by the same company, with the same craftsmanship.

songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Now could you explain to me why switching to a lower power supply would work when my current high power supply can barely Handel things.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, it's not lower in reality. A 400W Fortron produces 400W far more reliably than a 550W PowMax. The fact is you just can't trust generic trash to work right.

songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Well thankss man. But just to clarify, even though on the power supply it self a fortron might say (made up numbers just for example) 26a on +5 and the powmax might say 30a on +5. The fortron is better, becuase it was made better? and the powmax wont do what it says even though it is higher?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, the Fortron will provide more than 26A, and the PowMax will provide less than 30A, and the Fortron will be better than the PowMax.

songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Well thanks a lot guys for all of your input. The final item for now is what is the lowest powersuplly i should go for. I dont leave my system on 24/7 but i want to, if that matters and should i buy this powersupply asap or wait ?