How do I reinstall Win 98

Compaq Armada 1700
4gb HD

I have run scandisk with MS-dos 6.2 and no errors have been found on the HD.

I have Fdisked and formated the harddrive, was told to SYS C: it too, but am
unable to install Win98, the boot disk
loads, it gets to "copying files needed for windows setup".
"Please remove any floppy disks from your drives and press any key to
restart your system".

But on doing this I get the following:
"Non-system disk or disk error, Replace and press any key when ready".

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get my Win98 back on.

--

Thanks
Mick

ALL incoming and outgoing mail sent to, or from me on this computer is
scanned by Norton Antivirus.

For more information, click the link below:
www.symantec.com/region/reg_eu/product/nav_index.html
6 answers Last reply
More about reinstall

    On 07/06/04 23:09, Mickiete wrote:

    > But on doing this I get the following:
    > "Non-system disk or disk error, Replace and press any key when ready".
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the right direction to get my Win98 back on.

    Remove the Win98 CD from the drive when the computer resets (and put it
    back in as soon as it's started booting again)

    Adam

    --
    Adam Richardson
    Email me at: stonemonkey~but.not.this.monkey~@ntlworld.com

    Retail Win98 or Compaq restore?

    "Mickiete" <mickZ@mickiete.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Compaq Armada 1700
    > 4gb HD
    >
    > I have run scandisk with MS-dos 6.2 and no errors have been found on the
    HD.

    > I have Fdisked and formated the harddrive, was told to SYS C: it too, but
    am
    > unable to install Win98, the boot disk
    > loads, it gets to "copying files needed for windows setup".
    > "Please remove any floppy disks from your drives and press any key to
    > restart your system".
    >
    > But on doing this I get the following:
    > "Non-system disk or disk error, Replace and press any key when ready".
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the right direction to get my Win98 back on.
    >

    > --
    >

    > Thanks
    > Mick
    > West Midlands,
    > UK

    > ALL incoming and outgoing mail sent to, or from me on this computer is
    > scanned by Norton Antivirus.
    >
    > For more information, click the link below:
    > www.symantec.com/region/reg_eu/product/nav_index.html

    Retail Win98

    --

    "David" <tonka@flashmail.com> wrote in message
    > Retail Win98 or Compaq restore?
    >
    > "Mickiete" <mickZ@mickiete.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Compaq Armada 1700
    > > 4gb HD
    > >
    > > I have run scandisk with MS-dos 6.2 and no errors have been found on the
    > HD.
    > >

    > > I have Fdisked and formated the harddrive, was told to SYS C: it too,
    but
    > am
    > > unable to install Win98, the boot disk
    > > loads, it gets to "copying files needed for windows setup".
    > > "Please remove any floppy disks from your drives and press any key to
    > > restart your system".
    > >
    > > But on doing this I get the following:
    > > "Non-system disk or disk error, Replace and press any key when ready".
    > >
    > > Can anyone point me in the right direction to get my Win98 back on.
    > >

    > > --
    > >

    > > Thanks
    > > Mick
    > > West Midlands,
    > > UK

    > > ALL incoming and outgoing mail sent to, or from me on this computer is
    > > scanned by Norton Antivirus.
    > >
    > > For more information, click the link below:
    > > www.symantec.com/region/reg_eu/product/nav_index.html

    You can try installing from your hard drive instead of the cd. Just copy the
    win98 folder (only folder you need) from the cd to your hd and run setup.exe
    from there (leave the cd out). You'll want to have the win98 drivers for
    your machine handy. You can download them from HP.

    > Retail Win98
    >
    > --
    >

    > Thanks
    > Mick
    > West Midlands,
    > UK

    > ALL incoming and outgoing mail sent to, or from me on this computer is
    > scanned by Norton Antivirus.
    >
    > For more information, click the link below:
    > www.symantec.com/region/reg_eu/product/nav_index.html
    > "David" <tonka@flashmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Retail Win98 or Compaq restore?
    > >
    > > "Mickiete" <mickZ@mickiete.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > > Compaq Armada 1700
    > > > 4gb HD
    > > >
    > > > I have run scandisk with MS-dos 6.2 and no errors have been found on
    the
    > > HD.
    > > >

    > > > I have Fdisked and formated the harddrive, was told to SYS C: it too,
    > but
    > > am
    > > > unable to install Win98, the boot disk
    > > > loads, it gets to "copying files needed for windows setup".
    > > > "Please remove any floppy disks from your drives and press any key to
    > > > restart your system".
    > > >
    > > > But on doing this I get the following:
    > > > "Non-system disk or disk error, Replace and press any key when ready".
    > > >
    > > > Can anyone point me in the right direction to get my Win98 back on.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > >

    > > > Thanks
    > > > Mick
    > > > West Midlands,
    > > > UK

    > > --
    > > > ALL incoming and outgoing mail sent to, or from me on this computer is
    > > > scanned by Norton Antivirus.
    > > >
    > > > For more information, click the link below:
    > > > www.symantec.com/region/reg_eu/product/nav_index.html

    As of now I have reinstalled the Bios partition, but on trying to install
    Win98 I have now got one step forward, it now stops at "error loading
    system.drv"

    --

    > You can try installing from your hard drive instead of the cd. Just copy
    the
    > win98 folder (only folder you need) from the cd to your hd and run
    setup.exe
    > from there (leave the cd out). You'll want to have the win98 drivers for
    > your machine handy. You can download them from HP.
    >
    > "Mickiete" <mickZ@mickiete.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Retail Win98
    > >
    > > --
    > >

    > > Thanks
    > > Mick
    > > West Midlands,
    > > UK

    > > ALL incoming and outgoing mail sent to, or from me on this computer is
    > > scanned by Norton Antivirus.
    > >
    > > For more information, click the link below:
    > > www.symantec.com/region/reg_eu/product/nav_index.html
    > > "David" <tonka@flashmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Retail Win98 or Compaq restore?
    > > >
    > > > "Mickiete" <mickZ@mickiete.co.uk> wrote in message

    > the
    > > > HD.

    > > but
    > > > am

    > > > --

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Hmm.. Did you say win98 was working properly before on this machine or is
    this the first time you're installing it? Be sure you have the latest ROM
    version for the laptop. Are you attempting to install win98 from the cd or
    the hd and where in the install process do you get this error? For complete
    instructions on how to best install win98 on your computer, go to the win98
    drivers page and download sp8906.exe "Installing Microsoft Windows 98 on
    Compaq Armada Portable Products". Hope that helps.

    > As of now I have reinstalled the Bios partition, but on trying to install
    > Win98 I have now got one step forward, it now stops at "error loading
    > system.drv"
    >
    > --
    >

    > Thanks
    > Mick
    > West Midlands,
    > UK

    > ALL incoming and outgoing mail sent to, or from me on this computer is
    > scanned by Norton Antivirus.
    >
    > For more information, click the link below:
    > www.symantec.com/region/reg_eu/product/nav_index.html
    > "David" <tonka@flashmail.com> wrote in message
    > > You can try installing from your hard drive instead of the cd. Just copy
    > the
    > > win98 folder (only folder you need) from the cd to your hd and run
    > setup.exe
    > > from there (leave the cd out). You'll want to have the win98 drivers for
    > > your machine handy. You can download them from HP.
    > >
    > > "Mickiete" <mickZ@mickiete.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > > Retail Win98
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > >

    > > > Thanks
    > > > Mick
    > > > West Midlands,
    > > > UK

    > > --
    > > > ALL incoming and outgoing mail sent to, or from me on this computer is
    > > > scanned by Norton Antivirus.
    > > >
    > > > For more information, click the link below:
    > > > www.symantec.com/region/reg_eu/product/nav_index.html
    > > > "David" <tonka@flashmail.com> wrote in message

    > > the

    > too,