Defragmenters, graphical representations & logical/physica..

I've been playing around with the Windows Defragmenter and a couple
of third party tools. Each provides a graphical display of what I assume
are logical blocks along with some information about them (fragmented,
unmovable, free, etc). I've got one NTFS partition on my drive, and
the graphical representation presented by defragmenters is something
along these lines:

CCCCCCCCCCMMCCCCUUUUUCCCFFFFFFFFFFFFFBB

Where:

C = Contiguous
M = MFT related
U = Unmovable
F = Free space
B = Many boot related files according to PerfectDisk

Somewhere I read that defragmenters migrate boot related files to the
outer edge of the drive for speed. In the graphical representation of my
drive, said boot files do appear near one end. However, it is the sparse
end with all the free space. I'd think the freespace should be towards
the inner edge. So basically I'm confused, and wondering if the graphic
representations have any correlation with the physical layout of clusters
on a single partition drive. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
2 answers Last reply
More about defragmenters graphical representations logical physica

    Analysis and defragmentation displays and reports
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sag_graphic_text_disagree.mspx

    Why files are not moved to some regions of NTFS-formatted volumes

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/defrag_faq_move_beginning.mspx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:us$pu13LFHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    User N <UserN@invalid.invalid> hunted and pecked:
    > I've been playing around with the Windows Defragmenter and a couple
    > of third party tools. Each provides a graphical display of what I
    > assume are logical blocks along with some information about them
    > (fragmented, unmovable, free, etc). I've got one NTFS partition on
    > my drive, and
    > the graphical representation presented by defragmenters is something
    > along these lines:
    >
    > CCCCCCCCCCMMCCCCUUUUUCCCFFFFFFFFFFFFFBB
    >
    > Where:
    >
    > C = Contiguous
    > M = MFT related
    > U = Unmovable
    > F = Free space
    > B = Many boot related files according to PerfectDisk
    >
    > Somewhere I read that defragmenters migrate boot related files to the
    > outer edge of the drive for speed. In the graphical representation
    > of my drive, said boot files do appear near one end. However, it is
    > the sparse end with all the free space. I'd think the freespace
    > should be towards the inner edge. So basically I'm confused, and
    > wondering if the graphic representations have any correlation with
    > the physical layout of clusters on a single partition drive. Can
    > anyone point me in the right direction?

    Anything here?
    http://snipurl.com/dlrw

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "User N" <UserN@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > I've been playing around with the Windows Defragmenter and a couple
    > of third party tools. Each provides a graphical display of what I
    > assume
    > are logical blocks along with some information about them (fragmented,
    > unmovable, free, etc). I've got one NTFS partition on my drive, and
    > the graphical representation presented by defragmenters is something
    > along these lines:
    >
    > CCCCCCCCCCMMCCCCUUUUUCCCFFFFFFFFFFFFFBB
    >
    > Where:
    >
    > C = Contiguous
    > M = MFT related
    > U = Unmovable
    > F = Free space
    > B = Many boot related files according to PerfectDisk
    >
    > Somewhere I read that defragmenters migrate boot related files to the
    > outer edge of the drive for speed. In the graphical representation of
    > my
    > drive, said boot files do appear near one end. However, it is the
    > sparse
    > end with all the free space. I'd think the freespace should be
    > towards
    > the inner edge. So basically I'm confused, and wondering if the
    > graphic
    > representations have any correlation with the physical layout of
    > clusters
    > on a single partition drive. Can anyone point me in the right
    > direction?

Windows XP