john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

This may appear to be a daft question to those of you who are very
knowledgeable about windows operating systems, but I need to ask.
I recently loaded a program called eraser which removes junk from the
system, in doing so it managed somehow to remove my complete family photo
album containing 650 pictures. If I use system restore to a point before

John

Unless you know exactly what programs like Eraser are going to do and to
what degree, steer clear of them.. use the functions supplied in XP.. it's a
tough way to find out, and highlights the requirement of a 'backup' plan..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> This may appear to be a daft question to those of you who are very
> knowledgeable about windows operating systems, but I need to ask.
> I recently loaded a program called eraser which removes junk from the
> system, in doing so it managed somehow to remove my complete family photo
> album containing 650 pictures. If I use system restore to a point before

Hi

Eraser is a powerful 'deleting' program. If you used the 35 Pass option,
then the files will have been overwritten. System Restore doesn't monitor
data files, so using that, I'm afraid, won't restore the 'photos.

You 'may' be able to restore the 'photos using a Data Recovery company - but
very doubtful.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User