what could I do...

to make my computer faster. My programs run slowly and when I open programs
they lag on opening. When I got this computer i thought i had bought a fast
one...well I guess i was wrong. I have 512 MB of Ram and Pentium 4 1.80Ghz.
Anyone have any suggestions?
5 answers Last reply
More about what

    In news:7BF5FBDC-0D36-4904-9EB8-90D8F04426EC@microsoft.com,
    greasy <greasy@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > to make my computer faster. My programs run slowly and when I open
    > programs they lag on opening. When I got this computer i thought i
    > had bought a fast one...well I guess i was wrong. I have 512 MB of
    > Ram and Pentium 4 1.80Ghz. Anyone have any suggestions?

    That's not fast by today's standards... Check for the following...

    Running startup processes: -- disable what you don't need...

    Mike Lin's Home Page: -- disable what you don't need...
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    Services:

    Windows XP Home and Professional Service Pack 2 Service ...:

    Virus:
    www.grisoft.com - AVG
    www.antivir.com - AntiVir
    www.clamwin.com - ClamWin
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust*

    Spyware:
    www.lavasoft.de - AdAware
    http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx -
    Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta

    Trojan:
    www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a
    http://swatit.org/

    All of these are free for home use. All of them are acceptable solutions to
    your security needs.
    Does not provide full real-time scanning engine.

    *My understanding CA is available free for a limited time. Please note that
    the page says this:
    @Free software offer expires 2/1/05.@
    The number of times it has been given out as a viable option leads me to
    believe that this has been extended. You should, of course, verify this on
    your own.

    Galen

    What is considered a fast computer today? Not super fast but just basic fast.

    In news:E53CCB75-53B7-4060-A3C5-C6DE074CA27E@microsoft.com,
    greasy <greasy@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > What is considered a fast computer today? Not super fast but just
    > basic fast.

    AMD 3200 with 512 MB or 1 GB of RAM is decent enough for ANYTHING I could
    hope to run on 32 bit systems. Ignore 64 bit today but be aware that it will
    be in your future. 128 or 256 MB video card... Simple 24 bit sound is
    acceptable for 5.1 dolby... A decent ATA 133 80 to 120 GB HDD is all you
    "need" to have fun so long as you have an old slave to toss in and backup
    your OS partition.

    I have, to be honest, up to a 3700+ -- beats the heck out of anything
    Intel's got today <flames anticipated> but I am currently on a box that's
    almost exactly what I mentioned above. This box technically has 2 GB of RAM
    and that's the ONLY difference. Slower than my newer ones? Yep but you'd not
    notice (I didn't) it unless you benchmarked it. Key is to run services that
    are needed and not. I've installed XP Pro on systems as slow as 350 MHz and
    had it run (or is that walk?) acceptably considering the hardware and
    software. But you know what? It's stable... That, to me, is enough PLUS it's
    fast... You can pick one up dirt cheap now. If you want info (and no I'm not
    affiliated) I can provide sales info but I avoid it like the plague. With
    some 37 running processes (none spyware or malware related) I hibernate in
    less than 8 seconds and reload from hibernation in about the same though I'm
    sure it's a bit longer I've just never timed it. I've never even opimized
    this system. I just let it go... I keep a cloned drive handy and if it
    breaks (though this particular computer hasn't yet) I'm up and running in
    five to ten minutes with my last saved point. No installation, no nothing...
    Just done... I like that...

    Galen

    Hi

    Please try the following link:

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups.

    "greasy" <greasy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > to make my computer faster. My programs run slowly and when I open
    > programs
    > they lag on opening. When I got this computer i thought i had bought a
    > fast
    > one...well I guess i was wrong. I have 512 MB of Ram and Pentium 4
    > 1.80Ghz.
    > Anyone have any suggestions?

    Well I have been doing everything on that page except that HijackThis thing
    so I'm doing that now. I hope that people who read my Hijackthis Log will be
    able to help me. In the meantime, does anyone else have any suggestions?

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Please try the following link:
    >
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups.
    >

    > "greasy" <greasy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > to make my computer faster. My programs run slowly and when I open
    > > programs
    > > they lag on opening. When I got this computer i thought i had bought a
    > > fast
    > > one...well I guess i was wrong. I have 512 MB of Ram and Pentium 4
    > > 1.80Ghz.
    > > Anyone have any suggestions?

Computers Microsoft Windows XP