what could I do...

March 24, 2005 1:31:01 AM

to make my computer faster. My programs run slowly and when I open programs
they lag on opening. When I got this computer i thought i had bought a fast
one...well I guess i was wrong. I have 512 MB of Ram and Pentium 4 1.80Ghz.
Anyone have any suggestions?

More about : question

March 24, 2005 4:52:13 AM

In news:7BF5FBDC-0D36-4904-9EB8-90D8F04426EC@microsoft.com,
greasy <greasy@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> to make my computer faster. My programs run slowly and when I open
> programs they lag on opening. When I got this computer i thought i
> had bought a fast one...well I guess i was wrong. I have 512 MB of
> Ram and Pentium 4 1.80Ghz. Anyone have any suggestions?

That's not fast by today's standards... Check for the following...

Running startup processes: -- disable what you don't need...

Mike Lin's Home Page: -- disable what you don't need...
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Services:

Windows XP Home and Professional Service Pack 2 Service ...:

Virus:
www.grisoft.com - AVG
www.antivir.com - AntiVir
www.clamwin.com - ClamWin
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust*

Spyware:
www.lavasoft.de - AdAware
http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa... -
Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta

Trojan:
www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a
http://swatit.org/

All of these are free for home use. All of them are acceptable solutions to
your security needs.
Does not provide full real-time scanning engine.

*My understanding CA is available free for a limited time. Please note that
the page says this:
@Free software offer expires 2/1/05.@
The number of times it has been given out as a viable option leads me to
believe that this has been extended. You should, of course, verify this on
your own.

Galen

March 24, 2005 4:52:14 AM

What is considered a fast computer today? Not super fast but just basic fast.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:7BF5FBDC-0D36-4904-9EB8-90D8F04426EC@microsoft.com,
> greasy <greasy@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > to make my computer faster. My programs run slowly and when I open
> > programs they lag on opening. When I got this computer i thought i
> > had bought a fast one...well I guess i was wrong. I have 512 MB of
> > Ram and Pentium 4 1.80Ghz. Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> That's not fast by today's standards... Check for the following...
>
> Running startup processes: -- disable what you don't need...
>
> Mike Lin's Home Page: -- disable what you don't need...
> http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
>
> Services:
>
> Windows XP Home and Professional Service Pack 2 Service ...:
> http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
>
> Virus:
> www.grisoft.com - AVG
> www.antivir.com - AntiVir
> www.clamwin.com - ClamWin
> http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust*
>
> Spyware:
> www.lavasoft.de - AdAware
> http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa... -
> Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta
>
> Trojan:
> www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a
> http://swatit.org/
>
> All of these are free for home use. All of them are acceptable solutions to
> your security needs.
> Does not provide full real-time scanning engine.
>
> *My understanding CA is available free for a limited time. Please note that
> the page says this:
> @Free software offer expires 2/1/05.@
> The number of times it has been given out as a viable option leads me to
> believe that this has been extended. You should, of course, verify this on
> your own.
>
> Galen
>
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

Related resources
March 24, 2005 6:19:04 AM

In news:E53CCB75-53B7-4060-A3C5-C6DE074CA27E@microsoft.com,
greasy <greasy@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> What is considered a fast computer today? Not super fast but just
> basic fast.

AMD 3200 with 512 MB or 1 GB of RAM is decent enough for ANYTHING I could
hope to run on 32 bit systems. Ignore 64 bit today but be aware that it will
be in your future. 128 or 256 MB video card... Simple 24 bit sound is
acceptable for 5.1 dolby... A decent ATA 133 80 to 120 GB HDD is all you
"need" to have fun so long as you have an old slave to toss in and backup
your OS partition.

I have, to be honest, up to a 3700+ -- beats the heck out of anything
Intel's got today <flames anticipated> but I am currently on a box that's
almost exactly what I mentioned above. This box technically has 2 GB of RAM
and that's the ONLY difference. Slower than my newer ones? Yep but you'd not
notice (I didn't) it unless you benchmarked it. Key is to run services that
are needed and not. I've installed XP Pro on systems as slow as 350 MHz and
had it run (or is that walk?) acceptably considering the hardware and
software. But you know what? It's stable... That, to me, is enough PLUS it's
fast... You can pick one up dirt cheap now. If you want info (and no I'm not
affiliated) I can provide sales info but I avoid it like the plague. With
some 37 running processes (none spyware or malware related) I hibernate in
less than 8 seconds and reload from hibernation in about the same though I'm
sure it's a bit longer I've just never timed it. I've never even opimized
this system. I just let it go... I keep a cloned drive handy and if it
breaks (though this particular computer hasn't yet) I'm up and running in
five to ten minutes with my last saved point. No installation, no nothing...
Just done... I like that...

Galen
March 24, 2005 9:49:08 AM

Hi

Please try the following link:

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups.

"greasy" <greasy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> to make my computer faster. My programs run slowly and when I open
> programs
> they lag on opening. When I got this computer i thought i had bought a
> fast
> one...well I guess i was wrong. I have 512 MB of Ram and Pentium 4
> 1.80Ghz.
> Anyone have any suggestions?
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 9:49:09 AM

Well I have been doing everything on that page except that HijackThis thing
so I'm doing that now. I hope that people who read my Hijackthis Log will be
able to help me. In the meantime, does anyone else have any suggestions?

!