  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
August 14, 2005 3:49:23 PM

All the rage is wireless.

I have relatively easy access to install wire from 1st floor to 2nd floor.
I currently use broadband cable.

What hardware do I need to get in order to connect two upstairs pc with two
downstairs PC's.
the main access I would like is for all four to have internet broadband
ability. I am not terribly interested in file sharing, but that would be
okay, as long as I can restrict access to some directories...

thanks

More about : wired home network

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 15, 2005 1:36:03 AM

"NoName" <noname@nowhere.net> wrote in

> All the rage is wireless.
>

> I have relatively easy access to install wire from 1st floor to 2nd
> floor. I currently use broadband cable.
>
> What hardware do I need to get in order to connect two upstairs pc
> with two downstairs PC's.

What you need is a NAT router one that has the wire Ethernet connection and
also has a wireless access point (WAP) function too.

You should try to get a *G* version wire/wireless router that does logging
so that you can watch connections to possible dubious remote Internet IP(s)
by LAN machines behind the router by using something like Wallwatcher.

http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/#Routers

> the main access I would like is for all four to have internet
> broadband ability. I am not terribly interested in file sharing, but
> that would be okay, as long as I can restrict access to some
> directories...

Access restrictions are based on the O/S such as a NT based O/S like XP to
restrict access to Share folders on the machine by other machines on the
LAN (Local area Network).

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/...

Duane :)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 15, 2005 3:10:28 AM

NoName <noname@nowhere.net> wrote:

> All the rage is wireless.
>

> I have relatively easy access to install wire from 1st floor to 2nd floor.
> I currently use broadband cable.
>
> What hardware do I need to get in order to connect two upstairs pc with two
> downstairs PC's.
> the main access I would like is for all four to have internet broadband
> ability. I am not terribly interested in file sharing, but that would be
> okay, as long as I can restrict access to some directories...

Assuming you want all four PCs to have wireless, put a wireless access
point on each floor, configure them for "roaming" (same SSID, different
channels), and connect each via Ethernet cable to a router near the
cable modem. Configure the file sharing options and firewall on each PC
and use the strongest form of wireless encryption supported by all your
hardware and operating systems.
a b F Wireless
August 15, 2005 8:22:26 PM

NoName wrote:

> All the rage is wireless.

It may be "all the rage", but it is not as good as wired: not as fast
(if that matters), and certainly not as secure.
--
Cheers, Bob
August 15, 2005 9:45:51 PM

"Neill Massello" <neillmassello@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> NoName <noname@nowhere.net> wrote:
>
>> All the rage is wireless.
>>

>> I have relatively easy access to install wire from 1st floor to 2nd
>> floor.
>> I currently use broadband cable.
>>
>> What hardware do I need to get in order to connect two upstairs pc with
>> two
>> downstairs PC's.
>> the main access I would like is for all four to have internet broadband
>> ability. I am not terribly interested in file sharing, but that would be
>> okay, as long as I can restrict access to some directories...
>
> Assuming you want all four PCs to have wireless, put a wireless access
> point on each floor, configure them for "roaming" (same SSID, different
> channels), and connect each via Ethernet cable to a router near the
> cable modem. Configure the file sharing options and firewall on each PC
> and use the strongest form of wireless encryption supported by all your
> hardware and operating systems.

Thanks to all who responded..

Speed is possibly important, but security is more important to me.
I don't doubt that a wireless home network is faster than cable modem
(broadband). So any faster speed wouldn't be terribly necessary. I am not
moving extremely large files from downstairs to upstairs. Though I do have
large capacity external harddrive for that, if necessary, again, not very
fast.

I am pretty ignorant here, on the home network subject.
What hardware would I need? where would it be located?
All pc's are less than three years old two are less than one. and all run
Windows XP home.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 16, 2005 10:29:36 AM

> Speed is possibly important, but security is more important to me.
> I don't doubt that a wireless home network is faster than cable modem

Have you looked at the powerline networking options? No wireless, just
plug a unit into each mains socket and that then has an ethernet port on
it.

David.
August 16, 2005 12:21:08 PM

I am aware the technology exists. THAT might be a good choice. I simply
wish to stay away from wireless, from a security issue, yet wish to connect
four or five PC's or an occasional laptop via wired circuit to share
broadband internet (cable modem).

Who are the vendors? are there many to choose from? who's is more user
friendly, and robust.
What works and what doesn't?

do i need router? switch?
again, i have two PC's downstairs and two PC's upstairs.
and there are a few friends who have laptops and my wife's work laptop
(which could connect via wire) to "black box" that allows access to my cable
modem/port.

"David Taylor" <djtaylor@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> Speed is possibly important, but security is more important to me.
>> I don't doubt that a wireless home network is faster than cable modem
>
> Have you looked at the powerline networking options? No wireless, just
> plug a unit into each mains socket and that then has an ethernet port on
> it.
>
> David.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 16, 2005 12:31:08 PM

NoName <noname@nowhere.net> wrote:

> I am pretty ignorant here, on the home network subject.

There's lots of jargon -- and even some nonsense and superstition --
connected with wireless networking. You might find it helpful to get one
of the introductory books on the subject before you start buying
hardware. I'm partial to Engst and Fleishman's Wireless Networking
Starter Kit <http://www.wireless-starter-kit.com/&gt;, but there are
several others.
August 16, 2005 12:31:09 PM

I am looking for wired home network.

> NoName <noname@nowhere.net> wrote:
>
>> I am pretty ignorant here, on the home network subject.
>
> There's lots of jargon -- and even some nonsense and superstition --
> connected with wireless networking. You might find it helpful to get one
> of the introductory books on the subject before you start buying
> hardware. I'm partial to Engst and Fleishman's Wireless Networking
> Starter Kit <http://www.wireless-starter-kit.com/&gt;, but there are
> several others.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 16, 2005 7:39:33 PM

> I am aware the technology exists. THAT might be a good choice. I simply
> wish to stay away from wireless, from a security issue, yet wish to connect
> four or five PC's or an occasional laptop via wired circuit to share
> broadband internet (cable modem).

Odd that you're asking in a wireless newsgroup! :)

> Who are the vendors? are there many to choose from? who's is more user
> friendly, and robust.
> What works and what doesn't?

Dunno, never used them myself but Google helps
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=powerline+networ...

> do i need router? switch?

Don't know, what do you already have that connects you to the Internet?
All that the powerline network dongles will do is save you running a
piece of wire so if you have a couple of machines upstairs then a small
switch and likewise downstairs unless the router there already has a few
ports spare. If not, another switch downstairs.

> (which could connect via wire) to "black box" that allows access to my cable
> modem/port.

If you just have a cable modem right now, then you'll need a cable
router (or any router that provides NAT to the LAN side).

So you'll go:-

[Cable modem]--[switch]--[powerline]-------[powerline]--[switch]

The left hand switch is optional depending on how many ports there are
on the router.

David.
August 16, 2005 8:39:27 PM

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 06:29:36 GMT, David Taylor
<djtaylor@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>> Speed is possibly important, but security is more important to me.
>> I don't doubt that a wireless home network is faster than cable modem
>
>Have you looked at the powerline networking options? No wireless, just
>plug a unit into each mains socket and that then has an ethernet port on
>it.
>
>David.

Are power line networks confronted with the same security
problems that a home wireless setup has? That is, could someone
in the house next door tap into their neighbor's power line
network? Would the signal travel back up to the power line
through the transformer? Even if not, it is common practice to
supply power to more than one house from the same transformer.
Gordon
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 16, 2005 8:39:28 PM

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:39:27 GMT, Gordon <gordonlr@DELETEswbell.net>
wrote:

>Are power line networks confronted with the same security
>problems that a home wireless setup has?

No. HomePlug 1.0 is encrypted. See reference below. Note that the
key exchange mechanism is NOT the same as wi-fi.

>That is, could someone
>in the house next door tap into their neighbor's power line
>network?

Only if they were on the same phase of the same transformer.
Generally, there are a maximum of about 10 houses on each pole
xformer, split into 2 phases. Chances are 1 in 5 that your signal
will leak to the neighbors.

>Would the signal travel back up to the power line
>through the transformer?

No. The power xformer passes 50/60Hz and not much else. HomePlug
works at 4.5 to 21Mhz with notch filters in the ham bands.

>Even if not, it is common practice to
>supply power to more than one house from the same transformer.

True.

Technical description of HomePlug 1.0 specification at:
> http://www.homeplug.com/en/docs/HP_1.0_TechnicalWhitePa...
Note the section on security on Pg 7.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 16, 2005 9:46:49 PM

"NoName" <noname@nowhere.net> wrote in news:1s2dnZDaNLgVnp_eRVn-
ug@comcast.com:

> I am looking for wired home network.

There are some fine people in the NG that know a lot of things. However,
you're in the wrong NG. You should be asking questions in the
comp.secuirty.firewall NG possibly. You should be asking about Ethernet
wire high-end FW routers or low-end FW appliances, which are basically plug
it up and go devices with the abilities to configure the set-up of the
devices to your needs.

Brand names like Sonicwall, SnapGear, Watchguard, Netgear and ZyXel are
just a few brand names.

Duane :)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 16, 2005 10:02:55 PM

> you're in the wrong NG. You should be asking questions in the
> comp.secuirty.firewall NG possibly. You should be asking about Ethernet

Balls, he just wants a home LAN he doesn't need to go asking in a
firewalls group about which firewall is best. That lot can't even
decide what a firewall actually is it seems.

There are plenty of domestic boxes that will be more than adequate.

David.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 16, 2005 11:06:22 PM

>> you're in the wrong NG. You should be asking questions in the
>> comp.secuirty.firewall NG possibly. You should be asking about Ethernet
>
> Balls, he just wants a home LAN he doesn't need to go asking in a
> firewalls group about which firewall is best. That lot can't even
> decide what a firewall actually is it seems.
>
> There are plenty of domestic boxes that will be more than adequate.
>
> David.

How do you know what some needs? Oops, I forgot you're the Gretest Internet
Natzie of all times -- forgive GIN - *D*. ;-)

Duane :)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 16, 2005 11:15:02 PM

You'll never learn will you? :)

I just want to get it right for *righteous* one as I was laughing too hard
when I wrote it.

How do you know what someone needs? Oops, I forgot you're the Greatest
Internet Natzie -- forgive me GIN - *D*. ;-)

<EOR>

Duane :)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 16, 2005 11:20:23 PM

> How do you know what some needs? Oops, I forgot you're the Gretest Internet
> Natzie of all times -- forgive GIN - *D*. ;-)

If you follow the thread, you can get an idea of the problem and the
sought after solution. This one is for a network. The OP has indicated
that he doesn't know if he needs a router or a switch or what. From
that it's pretty safe to infer that just sending him to a firewalls
group where they bicker about what is and what isn't a firewall. (See

The OP clearly stated he wanted a wired LAN and equipment suggestions,
not a lesson in discussing the specifics of a firewall.

See, it's pretty easy when you read the question.

David.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 16, 2005 11:23:14 PM

Duane, I have stated quite simply that when you post technical stuff
that's misguided, i'll offer an alternate view.

On the other hand, if you want to continue to make yourself look
foolish, please continue. I refuse to have a battle of wits with an
unarmed opponent, it wouldn't be fair.

David.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 16, 2005 11:35:43 PM

> Duane, I have stated quite simply that when you post technical stuff
> that's misguided, i'll offer an alternate view.
>
> On the other hand, if you want to continue to make yourself look
> foolish, please continue. I refuse to have a battle of wits with an
> unarmed opponent, it wouldn't be fair.
>
> David.

Look you maron, I gave the OP some information on brand names he could look
at and another NG he could also talk to other people. It's not a technical
debate you jackass. The OP has to make his own decisions as to what he
needs based on information that he has been given. The OP has already
indicated that he is not technical and doesn't know what he needs so why go
there?

You keep posting to me like you're some kind of a spurned *clown* about
nothing.

Get a life David better yet go find a *woman* and be happy.

Duane :)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 16, 2005 11:49:05 PM

Well keeping this on the technical level, try a Google on groups for
something like "home computer network"

Curiously, the firewalls newsgroup just doesn't feature until the 20th
hit. There are plenty far more appropriate groups don't you think?

But yes to give you credit, you offered an alternate, not a very good
one but it was an alternate.

I've also noticed that you're spelling is a bit off the mark today,
something up? A little drunk perhaps or some other deficiency.

Oh and by the way, it *is* a technical debate when someone asks how to
do something technically. I fail to see why you don't get that?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 17, 2005 12:00:23 AM

You need to find a woman David and try to impress her or something. I think
you have been out here on the Internet too long and you have lost it.

Duane :)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 17, 2005 4:06:29 AM

Take a look at yourself in the mirror while you're at it over there in the
FW NG while you bicker like the *clown* that you are and here too.

I notice one thing about you. You're a gutless *clown* and you need help to
come at someone. In other words, you can't piss on your own. And you don't
know when to stop the pissing contest either. :)

Duane :)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 17, 2005 7:06:08 AM

NoName wrote:

> "Neill Massello" <neillmassello@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>>NoName <noname@nowhere.net> wrote:
>>

>>>All the rage is wireless.
>>>

>>>I have relatively easy access to install wire from 1st floor to 2nd
>>>floor.
>>>I currently use broadband cable.
>>>
>>>What hardware do I need to get in order to connect two upstairs pc with
>>>two
>>>downstairs PC's.
>>>the main access I would like is for all four to have internet broadband
>>>ability. I am not terribly interested in file sharing, but that would be
>>>okay, as long as I can restrict access to some directories...
>>
>>Assuming you want all four PCs to have wireless, put a wireless access
>>point on each floor, configure them for "roaming" (same SSID, different
>>channels), and connect each via Ethernet cable to a router near the
>>cable modem. Configure the file sharing options and firewall on each PC
>>and use the strongest form of wireless encryption supported by all your
>>hardware and operating systems.
>

> Thanks to all who responded..
>
> Speed is possibly important, but security is more important to me.
> I don't doubt that a wireless home network is faster than cable modem
> (broadband). So any faster speed wouldn't be terribly necessary. I am not
> moving extremely large files from downstairs to upstairs. Though I do have
> large capacity external harddrive for that, if necessary, again, not very
> fast.
>
> I am pretty ignorant here, on the home network subject.
> What hardware would I need? where would it be located?
> All pc's are less than three years old two are less than one. and all run
> Windows XP home.

Hi,
Wired is faster and secure since you can run cable easy. Just buy a
router with AP. Once wired setup works A-OK venture into wireless.
I have 4 PCs in my house as well, main floor, upstairs, basement.
I can run wired or wireless. Mostly we stay with wire, But if I go to
back yard patio, I go wireless. Or downtown where free wireless access
is possible for general public.
Tony
August 18, 2005 8:00:35 PM

> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:39:27 GMT, Gordon <gordonlr@DELETEswbell.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Are power line networks confronted with the same security
>>problems that a home wireless setup has?
>
> No. HomePlug 1.0 is encrypted. See reference below. Note that the
> key exchange mechanism is NOT the same as wi-fi.
>
>>That is, could someone
>>in the house next door tap into their neighbor's power line
>>network?
>
> Only if they were on the same phase of the same transformer.
> Generally, there are a maximum of about 10 houses on each pole
> xformer, split into 2 phases. Chances are 1 in 5 that your signal
> will leak to the neighbors.
>
>>Would the signal travel back up to the power line
>>through the transformer?
>
> No. The power xformer passes 50/60Hz and not much else. HomePlug
> works at 4.5 to 21Mhz with notch filters in the ham bands.
>
>>Even if not, it is common practice to
>>supply power to more than one house from the same transformer.
>
> True.
>
> Technical description of HomePlug 1.0 specification at:
>> http://www.homeplug.com/en/docs/HP_1.0_TechnicalWhitePa...
> Note the section on security on Pg 7.

> Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
> AE6KS 831-336-2558

Thanks to all who have provided some info.
yes, I am foolish perhaps for asking this question in a wireless newsgroup.
Thought I would start somewhere.
I haven't made any decisions WHAT to do yet, but haven't considered the
powerline idea. I assume it uses the "ground" wire??
I only wish to provide internet connectivity to some PC's upstairs and some
downstairs. I could run a cable from attic (meaning any room on the second
floor) to where my cable modem is at this PC/desk. Using powerline would
negate that "wahr run". might be nice.

I will check into it..
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 18, 2005 10:44:32 PM

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:00:35 -0700, "NoName" <noname@nowhere.net>
wrote:

>yes, I am foolish perhaps for asking this question in a wireless newsgroup.
>Thought I would start somewhere.

Staying on topic is optional in most usenet newsgroups.

>I haven't made any decisions WHAT to do yet, but haven't considered the
>powerline idea. I assume it uses the "ground" wire??

Wrong. The 4.5 to 21MHz signal is between the line and neutral. The
protective ground wire is not used.

>I only wish to provide internet connectivity to some PC's upstairs and some
>downstairs. I could run a cable from attic (meaning any room on the second
>floor) to where my cable modem is at this PC/desk. Using powerline would
>negate that "wahr run". might be nice.

Run the CAT5e cable. Less hassles, more speed, cheaper, etc.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 19, 2005 4:29:06 AM

> Well, thanks for the info.
> I think I have a little better idea of what to SEEK.
>
> don't know why everything always has to get so nasty and personal.
> But there was some help here.
> again thanks.

You're welcome.

After all, this is the Internet and some people just don't have a *life*
and can't get a life apprently in the real world either. So, they hang out
in the Internet/NG world like David the Lone Natzie Ranger and his partner
in crime Floyd Ronald Mac Donald. <g>

Duane :)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 19, 2005 4:34:17 AM

On 18-Aug-2005, "NoName" <noname@nowhere.net> wrote:

> I am foolish perhaps for asking this question in a wireless newsgroup.

Don't even think you're being foolish because you are not. Asking for
assistance and learning from others is what these newsgroups are all about.
When we can offer assistance, we do and when we cannot, we read and learn
from those who can and then use that gained knowledge to assist others in
the near future. Take care.

--
Just Me, D
!