determining frequency for directional antenna

I'm trying to get better reception for a home located PC5220 card.

I have line of sight to a cell tower at 1754 Pedlar Road in Elliston VA
24087,
but I need to know if the 1x connection is at 1.9 GHZ or 800 MHZ, as
there will
be a different antenna to be bought depending on the frequency.

How can I find out the frequency used by that cell tower? (SID 502,
FYI)

Verizon techs today told me that SID 502 is 1.9 Ghz.

So who's correct?

On 5 Jan 2005 06:29:02 -0800, jamessmalljr@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm trying to get better reception for a home located PC5220 card.
>
> I have line of sight to a cell tower at 1754 Pedlar Road in Elliston VA
> 24087,
> but I need to know if the 1x connection is at 1.9 GHZ or 800 MHZ, as
> there will
> be a different antenna to be bought depending on the frequency.
>
> How can I find out the frequency used by that cell tower? (SID 502,
> FYI)

SID 502 is 800MHz out of Roanoke.

I belive EVDO only runs on PCS i.e. 1.9Ghz

Or am I confusing it with W-CDMA? (UMTS)

On 5 Jan 2005 11:09:27 -0800, jamessmalljr@gmail.com wrote:

> Verizon techs today told me that SID 502 is 1.9 Ghz.
>
> So who's correct?

My SID list shows this:

Technology: Analog & CDMA 800
Billing SID: 502
Broadcast SID: 502
Carrier: Verizon / BAM
City: Roanoke
ST: VA

They could have added PCS lately though.
Can you set your phone to PCS only and see if it connects?

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 22:31:52 GMT, CellGuy <cellguy@seemessagebody.com>
wrote:

>On 5 Jan 2005 11:09:27 -0800, jamessmalljr@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Verizon techs today told me that SID 502 is 1.9 Ghz.
>>
>> So who's correct?
>
>My SID list shows this:
>
>Technology: Analog & CDMA 800
>Billing SID: 502
>Broadcast SID: 502
>Carrier: Verizon / BAM
>City: Roanoke
>ST: VA
>
>They could have added PCS lately though.
>Can you set your phone to PCS only and see if it connects?
I can verify that. I get SID 502 at Smith Mountain Lake 25 miles east
of Roanoke. 800 Mhz in my case. Not sure if in town they are using
another frequency, but I'll check if you want. Just let me know.

- Sandy

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 22:10:53 -0800, Julie Ruin wrote:

> I belive EVDO only runs on PCS i.e. 1.9Ghz
>
> Or am I confusing it with W-CDMA? (UMTS)
>

> <jamessmalljr@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to get better reception for a home located PC5220 card.
>>
>> I have line of sight to a cell tower at 1754 Pedlar Road in Elliston VA
>> 24087,
>> but I need to know if the 1x connection is at 1.9 GHZ or 800 MHZ, as
>> there will
>> be a different antenna to be bought depending on the frequency.
>>
>> How can I find out the frequency used by that cell tower? (SID 502,
>> FYI)

1X can be either 800MHz or PCS.

EVDO (and 1XRTT) run on whatever frequency is being used in the area.
In fact, the majority of the in use freq is still 800MHz for VZW nationwide.