User Accounts

How to disable user account creating in windows xp ?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:E3E5AFBF-3CE8-47EE-98AC-BF111FFEBF00@microsoft.com,
Mehrad.K <mehrad.k@msn.com> had this to say:

> How to disable user account creating in windows xp ?

I'm not sure I understand. You want to stop whom from creating accounts?
You? A user? Users can't create accounts on their own IIRC, only admins can
create them.

Galen

Ian

Windows XP defines two types of user:
- Administrative User
- Limited User

Only Administrative Users are permitted to create user accounts. At least
one user on an XP system must be defined as an administrator.

To do what you're asking, you would have to change the user type for all
users other than yourself (presumably) from Administrative User to Limited
User. Then, to completely tie things down, you would have to set a password
for yourself and keep it private.

To make the necessary changes you need to go into the User Accounts control
panel applet, which you'll find in Control Panel.

NB
Some programs from the (not too) olden days will not function properly / at
all when run from a Limited User account. It is sad, but many parents find
that they have to grant their kids administrative access to their Windows XP
systems just so the kids can do everyday things.