Missing bootcfg.exe file

In following the suggestions in a KB article about dealing with a dual boot
issue, I was led to a point where I was to open bootcfg.exe. I tried to do so
and got a message which said 'bootcfg' is not recognized as an internal or
external command, operable program, or batch ffile.'

I have searched my computer for a file titled "bootcfg.exe" and find no such
file. Where can I find such a file or will I have to go to my installation
disk?
4 answers Last reply
More about missing bootcfg file

    For some reason bootcfg isn't installed on XP Home. With XP Home you have
    to start the Recovery Console with the Windows XP CD-ROM.

    What are you trying to do?

    HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289022

    The Purpose of the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314081

    Safe-Mode Boot Switches for Windows Boot.ini File
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239780

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:B5A23492-637F-4FD4-9A5F-58598CA3A534@microsoft.com,
    Gordon Nelson <GordonNelson@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > In following the suggestions in a KB article about dealing with a
    > dual boot issue, I was led to a point where I was to open
    > bootcfg.exe. I tried to do so and got a message which said 'bootcfg'
    > is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
    > program, or batch ffile.'
    >
    > I have searched my computer for a file titled "bootcfg.exe" and find
    > no such file. Where can I find such a file or will I have to go to my
    > installation disk?

    I am trying to get rid of a dual boot -- I have Win XP on two drives. I
    probably could edit boot.ini in notepad, but from the KB article I read, it
    sounds like bootcfg.exe would be a safer and simpler way to go. Thanks for
    your interest and if you have any ideas on this subject I'd like to hear them.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > For some reason bootcfg isn't installed on XP Home. With XP Home you have
    > to start the Recovery Console with the Windows XP CD-ROM.
    >
    > What are you trying to do?
    >
    > HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289022
    >
    > The Purpose of the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314081
    >
    > Safe-Mode Boot Switches for Windows Boot.ini File
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239780
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:B5A23492-637F-4FD4-9A5F-58598CA3A534@microsoft.com,
    > Gordon Nelson <GordonNelson@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > In following the suggestions in a KB article about dealing with a
    > > dual boot issue, I was led to a point where I was to open
    > > bootcfg.exe. I tried to do so and got a message which said 'bootcfg'
    > > is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
    > > program, or batch ffile.'
    > >
    > > I have searched my computer for a file titled "bootcfg.exe" and find
    > > no such file. Where can I find such a file or will I have to go to my
    > > installation disk?

    Gordon,

    Start | Run | Type: sysdm.cpl | Click OK |
    Advanced tab | Settings button under Startup and
    Recovery | Edit button

    or...

    Start | Run | Type: C:\boot.ini | Click OK

    Remove a Dual Boot
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#19

    "I have two installations of XP on the same partition........"
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#20

    In news:AB8EBBBC-C979-47AA-B5E2-8F5A003BAD87@microsoft.com,
    Gordon Nelson <GordonNelson@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I am trying to get rid of a dual boot -- I have Win XP on two drives.
    > I probably could edit boot.ini in notepad, but from the KB article I
    > read, it sounds like bootcfg.exe would be a safer and simpler way to
    > go. Thanks for your interest and if you have any ideas on this
    > subject I'd like to hear them.
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> For some reason bootcfg isn't installed on XP Home. With XP Home
    >> you have to start the Recovery Console with the Windows XP CD-ROM.
    >>
    >> What are you trying to do?
    >>
    >> HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289022
    >>
    >> The Purpose of the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314081
    >>
    >> Safe-Mode Boot Switches for Windows Boot.ini File
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239780
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:B5A23492-637F-4FD4-9A5F-58598CA3A534@microsoft.com,
    >> Gordon Nelson <GordonNelson@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    >> pecked:
    >>> In following the suggestions in a KB article about dealing with a
    >>> dual boot issue, I was led to a point where I was to open
    >>> bootcfg.exe. I tried to do so and got a message which said 'bootcfg'
    >>> is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
    >>> program, or batch ffile.'
    >>>
    >>> I have searched my computer for a file titled "bootcfg.exe" and find
    >>> no such file. Where can I find such a file or will I have to go to
    >>> my installation disk?
  4. I am repairing an old mini with windows xp on it. Thank you for your posts. I used the
    Start | Run | Type: sysdm.cpl | Click OK |
    Advanced tab | Settings button under Startup and
    Recovery | Edit button

    and it worked fine. Thanks again!

Windows XP