Skyrim asking to be reinstalled

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydenhoff

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Hi, I recently purchased and installed the disk version of Skyrim. It's been about a week since I did so (to save time, I forced it to install from the disk instead of from Steam), and for two days after I bought it I had no trouble going in and out of the game as I pleased. After about 4 days of not touching it at all, I tried to play it again a few minutes ago and in my Steam library, where it previously said "Play" it now says "Install" for Skyrim.

I tried to go directly through the .exe in my Skyrim folder, but the window that popped up had a "Play" option, as well as one for Reinstall and Uninstall. Of course, I pressed Play and when I did, it prompted me to install the game, this time from the disk. After trying it a couple more times, I decided what the hell, since I can keep my save files anyways, and tried to reinstall it, but at the screen that tells you how much disk space you have, and how much is needed, I noticed that the space the game originally took up when I first installed it was still taken up, so I KNOW it hasn't been secretly uninstalled or anything. Rather than waste nearly a third of my disk, I figured I'd as if anyone else has had a similar problem, or if anyone knew how to fix it.

So that being said, does anyone have any advice for me?

Solution
a 3rd of your disk?
im guessing its a pretty old drive. if so then run chkdsk over it and map out any bad sectors. (doing this will stop your computer from putting data on bad sectors and causing corruption) but remember mapping out bad sectors is a short term fix, and is only worth doing if its a small area that is physicaly damaged if you get to many bad sectors then bin the drive as the disk is going to fail sooner rather than later

run some antimalware apps (decent 1s like avira and malwarebytes) if you have norton replace it with the free version of avira and buy a key for malwarebytes or emsisoft antimalware as both compliment avira and give over a 98% catch rate, not only that youe antimalware will have a very small system...
a 3rd of your disk?
im guessing its a pretty old drive. if so then run chkdsk over it and map out any bad sectors. (doing this will stop your computer from putting data on bad sectors and causing corruption) but remember mapping out bad sectors is a short term fix, and is only worth doing if its a small area that is physicaly damaged if you get to many bad sectors then bin the drive as the disk is going to fail sooner rather than later

run some antimalware apps (decent 1s like avira and malwarebytes) if you have norton replace it with the free version of avira and buy a key for malwarebytes or emsisoft antimalware as both compliment avira and give over a 98% catch rate, not only that youe antimalware will have a very small system footprint thus free up resorces.

the reason im saying scan the system, is files dont spontaneously corrupt they either have to be on unstable storage or infected...

1s you have scanned and cleaned your disk. uninstall skyrim but leave your saves (im not sure if it will ask you to leave em so move them first and you can put them back after the new install). run ccleaner to make sure you get rid of any left over registry entrys (run a couple of times till theres nothing in the list) reboot the machine and now your ready to reinstall.

run the install from the skyrim disk. this should run steam and ask for your login then start installing from the disk as it normaly would. let it finish and update. 1s done go to your library and select the game and open its properties via the right mouse button. select defragmet cache then check its integrity. if all is well copy your saves back to the original save folder and either make a backup copy or play the game.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.