Sign in with
Your question

Games With Great Art Direction

Last response: in Video Games
December 28, 2011 11:19:07 PM

Arguably one of the most important aspects of any game.....art direction. What are your favorites?

I had to think a good bit about it, but for 2nd place, I'm putting up any game in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. Atmosphere like no other. Somehow they accomplished an environment that is both beautiful and dreadful all at the same time. Outstanding in every game.

My favorite art direction goes to Mirror's Edge. When I was rolling through taking some screenshots, I ended up with way more than I could ever post and I had a hard time narrowing it down to a few. Amazing use of architecture, color, and light - from beginning to end.

Just as a side note, I thought the artwork in Alice: Madness was very interesting. Despite the rather horrendous graphic quality, the atmosphere was always very interesting. Doesn't make my top list, but it is worth a mention.

December 30, 2011 12:46:47 AM

Well.....guess I'm the only one into it. ;) 
m
l
December 30, 2011 2:50:48 AM

Regarding art direction, I am very fond of Bioshock and Bioshock 2.
m
l
Related resources
December 30, 2011 3:29:56 AM

I have to agree with Stalker and ME for their art direction. POP 2008, FO3, Mass Effect 2 are the other games that i liked in terms of art direction.
m
l
December 30, 2011 12:11:51 PM

Alice: Madness Returns was simply fantastic and my vote for number 1. Graphics quality is a moot point when gaming in stereo 3D!
The detail of costumes and armor that went into The Witcher 2 that made them so believable was also top notch.
Atmosphere in Batman Arkham City & Arkham Asylum second to none.
m
l
December 30, 2011 6:42:39 PM

I like the art direction in Arkham City. Some of the arch-criminals were re-imagined wonderfully (the Penguin for instance). I also liked both of the Bioshocks which tend to have the best atmosphere in a game imo.

Limbo has also straight up impressed me with ambience and beautifully imaginative grayscale.

Lastly, and many may disagree with this, but I'm going to list Street Fighter 4. The reason I do this is because it represented a bold move away from flat sprites that themselves had looked good and been a staple of the franchise, into something far flashier. And they did it without affecting the quality of the combat. Even though Street Fighter 3 is my favorite game in the series and imo the best competitive fighting game, I have to give a nod to SF4 for bold steps forward.
m
l
December 30, 2011 7:40:24 PM

SnickerSnack said:
Alice: Madness Returns was simply fantastic and my vote for number 1.

I bought the game when Origin put it on sale for a few bucks, and I was pleasantly surprised. It's a pretty fun platformer......the environment and story keep it very interesting. I'd definitely like to see it in 3D.

m
l
December 30, 2011 7:43:35 PM

casualcolors said:
I like the art direction in Arkham City. Some of the arch-criminals were re-imagined wonderfully (the Penguin for instance). I also liked both of the Bioshocks which tend to have the best atmosphere in a game imo.

Limbo has also straight up impressed me with ambience and beautifully imaginative grayscale.

Lastly, and many may disagree with this, but I'm going to list Street Fighter 4. The reason I do this is because it represented a bold move away from flat sprites that themselves had looked good and been a staple of the franchise, into something far flashier. And they did it without affecting the quality of the combat. Even though Street Fighter 3 is my favorite game in the series and imo the best competitive fighting game, I have to give a nod to SF4 for bold steps forward.

I'm going to agree with you on SreetFighter IV.....I remember thinking that it looked pretty cool as well. I need to check out LIMBO.....looks like a cool, atmospheric game.
m
l
December 30, 2011 8:57:18 PM

Zeno Clash had very attractive visuals as well.
m
l
!