What am I doing wrong???

Ryan

I just moved in with my mother and stepfather and he has Alltel DSL and
a desktop pc running XP. I own a Linsys wireless router with 4
ethernet ports on the back. I tried to hook it up so that I could use
the internet on my laptop (also XP) from the other room while he could
connect to the internet by having his desktop wired into the back of
the router and the DSL modem wired into the router instead of the back
of his PC like it was before I came along. The problem is my laptop
(wireless) can never connect to the internet unless I go to the desktop
and select "disconnect" on his connection. then it works fine until he
comes along and reconnects his desktop's connection. What am i doing
wrong? We must be able to both connect at the same time. Is there a
setting somewhere? I am at a loss and tech support at Linksys and
Alltel seem to barely know anything about anything. -Thanks

If you go to www.linksys.com and click on the Support page, then you will
see the Linksys automatic wireless connection tool, that will make the
configuration for you.

Be sure you have a Cat5 cable to hook up from the laptop to the Linksys
adapter also.

This will give you your configuaration settings and password to transfer to
your laptop. Just follow the prompts. It is really well done , on Linksys
part.

"Ryan" <magister_ludi76@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I just moved in with my mother and stepfather and he has Alltel DSL and
> a desktop pc running XP. I own a Linsys wireless router with 4
> ethernet ports on the back. I tried to hook it up so that I could use
> the internet on my laptop (also XP) from the other room while he could
> connect to the internet by having his desktop wired into the back of
> the router and the DSL modem wired into the router instead of the back
> of his PC like it was before I came along. The problem is my laptop
> (wireless) can never connect to the internet unless I go to the desktop
> and select "disconnect" on his connection. then it works fine until he
> comes along and reconnects his desktop's connection. What am i doing
> wrong? We must be able to both connect at the same time. Is there a
> setting somewhere? I am at a loss and tech support at Linksys and
> Alltel seem to barely know anything about anything. -Thanks

Are you sure you're plugging into a Router instead of a switch? There's
a big difference.

If you are using a router, then make sure that the cable from your
router to your internet connection is in the port labeled internet, and
not one of the four on the back.

What IP is your desktop getting?
What about the laptop?

Thanks
Chris

Ryan

NetSteady wrote:
> Are you sure you're plugging into a Router instead of a switch? There's
> a big difference.
>
> If you are using a router, then make sure that the cable from your
> router to your internet connection is in the port labeled internet, and
> not one of the four on the back.
>
> What IP is your desktop getting?
> What about the laptop?
>
> Thanks
> Chris

It is a router (linksys model wrk54g) and i have the cable from the dsl
modem plugged into the correct "jack" on the router...both connections
only work intermittently but they do work (when they want) but they
never seem to work at the same time. :(

> NetSteady wrote:
>> Are you sure you're plugging into a Router instead of a switch? There's
>> a big difference.
>>
>> If you are using a router, then make sure that the cable from your
>> router to your internet connection is in the port labeled internet, and
>> not one of the four on the back.
>>
>> What IP is your desktop getting?
>> What about the laptop?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Chris
>
> It is a router (linksys model wrk54g) and i have the cable from the dsl
> modem plugged into the correct "jack" on the router...both connections
> only work intermittently but they do work (when they want) but they
> never seem to work at the same time. :(

I assume you have DHCP enabled on the router?

Try new firmware, and try blasting your config back to nothing.

Start completely over, and it normally fixes it. Yeah, it's an
inconvenience, but it'll be worth it.

Additionally, make sure no computers on the network have a static IP.
That may be causing your issues.

"NetSteady" <cmhutch@gmail.com> wrote in news:1124329586.200900.6590
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Try new firmware, and try blasting your config back to nothing.
>
> Start completely over, and it normally fixes it. Yeah, it's an
> inconvenience, but it'll be worth it.
>
> Additionally, make sure no computers on the network have a static IP.
> That may be causing your issues.

I trust that a static IP issue would be that the DHCP is trying to allocate
an IP that is already staticlly set to a PC ?

DanS

Yes. Or it could be that two devices have the same IP in general.

Normally, when having these issues, I take a step back and look at the
network as a whole. Make sure there are no conflicts (IP or otherwise),
update all firmwares/softwares, and if need be, rebuild the network by
adding one peice at a time back into the mix.