New Xbox Controller Accessories for FPS Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Anyone else see this and immediately think of the gigantic addon for the original brick-like GameBoy that clamped around the outside of the system to magnify the screen, increase the size of the buttons / replace the D-Pad with a joystick-like thing, and add goofy external speakers? It was like the Light Boy, but on steroids. Wish I could remember the name, but it's been a long time. Cool story, bro.

E: Handy Boy, that's what it was called. Handy Boy for Nintendo GameBoy. Magnifying screen, joystick, larger buttons, external speakers, and the most cumbersome handheld gaming experience you'll ever have, short of this thing they're selling to attach to your 360 controller.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]UnknownEver heard of a Keyboard and a Mouse?[/nom]Unknown[/citation]

*Gasp* Blasphemy! Do not speak of the dark side to the consolers!

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i'm seeing a really pathetic trend here at Tom's. Yeah, yeah, I know it's difficult to report news, but it's your job!

My point is, most of the articles that I see pop here are usually a few days after they pop up elsewhere... mostly engadget. What's up with that?

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
I never have to take my fingers off, can hit 10 buttons @ once, and I couldn't believe how much better I was after just a few minutes....oh yeah I am using a keyboard and mouse. FPS + console = hahaahahahahahahaha.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
I'm curious to hear if MLG will allow this or not. It isn't adding any buttons, and it's easy enough to know the underlying controller isn't modded.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
My take on K/M vs Controller: Mouse is vastly superior to the analog stick, but the analog stick and buttons milimeters from your fingers is vastly superior to the keyboard. You've got more buttons yeah, but when you have to press a button with your pinky as well as the A and W buttons with your ring finger and your middle finger to move diagonally slowly, you realize that moving your thumb slightly to the top left of the analog circle is easier. The keyboard just isn't efficient.

Same with crouching, and with macro keys on the controller, even being limited to about 16 buttons isn't a real liability. Not to mention all those buttons are placed ergonomically within a very short distance from your finger.

Honestly, gamers could do a lot more with a controller than developers give them credit for. However, I will reiterate, the mouse, especially the ones with several buttons on top of the normal ones, is vastly superior. The accuracy afforded and the speed is bar none the best option for aiming in FPS. With the added buttons it becomes very similar to the ease of use of a controller with buttons within easy reach. The keyboard just isn't in the same league of efficiency as the controller.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
My take on K/M vs Controller: Mouse is vastly superior to the analog stick, but the analog stick and buttons milimeters from your fingers is vastly superior to the keyboard. You've got more buttons yeah, but when you have to press a button with your pinky as well as the A and W buttons with your ring finger and your middle finger to move diagonally slowly, you realize that moving your thumb slightly to the top left of the analog circle is easier. The keyboard just isn't efficient.

Same with crouching, and with macro keys on the controller, even being limited to about 16 buttons isn't a real liability. Not to mention all those buttons are placed ergonomically within a very short distance from your finger.

Honestly, gamers could do a lot more with a controller than developers give them credit for. However, I will reiterate, the mouse, especially the ones with several buttons on top of the normal ones, is vastly superior. The accuracy afforded and the speed is bar none the best option for aiming in FPS. With the added buttons it becomes very similar to the ease of use of a controller with buttons within easy reach. The keyboard just isn't in the same league of efficiency as the controller.

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
There is no way it can make you win even if you are a bad player, a bad player is that, a bad player, doesnt matter if he is using the top gear.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
My biggest problem in Call of Duty: Black Ops isn't reaction time, It's getting camped all the damn time...and just general cheap style of playing. They literally set up a tent, make a nice fire and just sit back and enjoy...never moving the whole game...or very little if that.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]dEAne[/nom]I will try this one for my kids.[/citation]
Don't, it would be a waste of money. The 360 controller is already the best double analog stick controller out for consoles, and already perfect for FPS's (or as perfect as it can be) with current resistance and analog height. A good player can easily fire full auto with a semi-automatic weapon with this controller, there are no major gains to be had for FPS's. Fighting games sure, but not FPS's.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Or, you can simply buy a gaming computer. Fully featured with a mouse and keyboard.Just saying.[/citation]

For about three times the cost. 200 dollar console with 20 dollar 16gb flash drive as storage vs a full size desktop with a keyboard and mouse, together likely a hundred dollars if you really plan to game with it, and the need to simultaneously run Windows and background services as well as the game means at least 500-600 dollar computer.

Even if you skimped on the controls, paying about 45-60, that's still either just below three times or over three times the cost.

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
so now they can justify letting PC players interact with console players right... I would LOVE to play vs an xbox player, rules would be i get knife only and 360 boy gets everything except F'n ROCKETS!!!

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]speedemon[/nom]so now they can justify letting PC players interact with console players right... I would LOVE to play vs an xbox player, rules would be i get knife only and 360 boy gets everything except F'n ROCKETS!!![/citation]

I think you'd be surprised by the fight they put up. Having a different controlling medium simply means you learn to play the game differently. While strafing and aiming is harder on the console, we learn to do the same job a different way.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]I think you'd be surprised by the fight they put up. Having a different controlling medium simply means you learn to play the game differently. While strafing and aiming is harder on the console, we learn to do the same job a different way.[/citation]

Ah no. did you ever read about the MS experiment when they were deciding whether or not to let xbox and PC plays play with each other? they had pro xbox players vs the every day pc gamers and the PC gamer won EVERY TIME. After this they dropped the cross platform idea.

I'm not saying the xbox user wouldn't get any kills but the PC users would almost always out play the xbox user regardless of the skill difference.

G

this is very stupid. horrible contraption and advertising. use mice and keyboards ffs!!!

braxis john

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Man, i've seen a lot of console gamers saying they are the best at CoD:4, but just configure your pc to run the XboX360 controller for windows and other pc with M+K combo and will see the console gamers crying for the freaking 50/0 that PC gamers will have.

I just did it with my friend and man, he was reaaally pissed off hahahahahahahahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.